Thread: Traveling with a Euphonium

1. Traveling with a Euphonium

Hi. I am almost done with my first semester at college, but after preparing for al the finals and my jury piece, I forgot about the fact that I have to go home after the semester is over. Last year when I flew, i was just barely able to squeeze my yamaha-321 case in the overhead bin of the plane. Now that I have my YEP-842 I have no idea as to how I am going to be able to safely get it home sine I believe that it is bigger then the 321 which just barely fit. I do have my 321 at home but I really would rather get my 842 home so that I could practice on that instead for the month that I am home. I was wondering how you guys traveled with your euphoniums on planes or if you had any ideas about what to do. Any information would be greatly appreciated
    -Nick

Traveling with a Euphonium

This is aways a concern. I sure wouldn't trust a standard case to be checked as baggage. Depending on the size of the acft, you can usually get a euphonium stowed overhead when it's in a gig bag.

See this link for a discussion on that topic:

Plane traveling
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Traveling with a Euphonium

In general, gig bags take up less space than hard cases (Soundwear bags being one exception), so it's often possible that a gig bag will fit into an overhead compartment that is too small for hard case. The tradeoff is that a gig bag will not offer the same degree of protection as a hard case, so if you DO opt for a gig bag, do not under any circumstance check it through.

Another factor is the type of aircraft you're flying in: wide body and jumbo jets generally have larger overhead compartments than narrow body aircraft and puddle-jumpers. Whenever possible, book your flight on larger aircraft.

I suggest you begin by reading these two pages:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a...t/editorial_1235.shtm

http://www.yeodoug.com/resourc.../faq_text/travel.html

http://hornguys.com/cases.htm

The only things I would add to the above are:

1) Pack your clothing and personal goods in your hard case and use that as your checked luggage. Be sure to carry a luggage strap in your gig bag! If you do end up needing to check your horn, swap the contents of your gig bag and hard case, secure the hard case with the luggage strap (you DID have one in your gig bag, didn't you) in case the latches fail, and check your horn.

2) If you do try to carry your horn on in a gig bag, wear it backpack style with the bell down. The more it resembles a standard backpack, the less likely you are to be stopped and asked to check it.