Thread: What creates volume?

1. What creates volume?

I am trying hard to use more air in the upper register without playing louder. If one can use a lot of air and play softly, volume must come from something other than air quantity. I think it might help me to understand what is the source of volume if it is not air quantity.

I would also appreciate any thoughts on getting a more open sound in the upper register, especially when playing quietly.

Thanks,

Ben

2. What creates volume?

Try using a mute, Ben. Also, "play into a corner". Sit with the bell of your horn right into a corner of your room. 1 or 2 feet away. Last, proper air support is the key to everything.

3. What creates volume?

Volume actually does not come from the quantity of air that you put into the horn, but rather is established by the speed of the air that you are putting into the horn. It doesn't matter what note you are playing or what dynamic you are playing.. you should always use the same "quantity" of air. "Wind and Song". Each time a breath is taken, your lungs should be completely full from bottom to top and side to side.

When you want to play at the higher dynamics you obviously don't want to push from the neck. Pushing from the neck will result in a very forced and unfocused tone quality.. which is what we all should strive to avoid. Ideally, you want to push the air with your abdominal muscles. That is where all of your power should come from for any dynamic and for any accent. For instance, when you try to actually play at the higher dynamic levels you should notice that it is harder to sustain long phrases. Recognizably enough, this is because you are pushing the air out at a faster rate of speed. Also, notice when you are playing at the lower dynamic levels that you have to control the air more as opposed to just "letting it go".

To sum up.. The level of dynamic comes from the rate of speed of your air and not from the quantity of air.

Be careful though, to play at the higher dynamic levels, it does require a large quantity of air. I recommend checking out Pat Sheridan and Sam Pilafian's Breathing Gym DVD. There are enough organizations and professional players that use those technics to provide evidence of improvement in anyone who practices them correctly. It should help you out a great deal with your lung capacity and endurance.

Hope that helps!!