Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miraphone 5050 Impressions from JTJ

1. Miraphone 5050

My teacher told me that the M5050 plays a lot like the big Hirsbrunner, but a lot easier and a lot better. Is this the case? I loved the Hirsbrunner, but it was a bit hard in the high register

Miraphone 5050

I find it quite different from the big Hirsbrunner, which I know pretty well, because I sit beside a player in the Triangle Wind Ensemble who has one. I never found the Hirsbrunner a hard instrument to play, but I do feel it thins out a little too much in the high register (which may be my not having enough playing time on the instrument). It has a tighter focus to the sound than the Miraphone, probably because of the bell shape, and the 5050 player has to work a little more on focus. Where I find the Miraphone excels is in expressiveness -- it facilitates so well, more than any other instrument I have played, the translation of one's musical intent into sound. Both are capable of a huge dynamic range, and the sound quality of both is not British. If you pushed me to it, I would say that I think the Miraphone is a little harder to play well than the Hirsbrunner; but these are small differences.

Just one person's opinion...

John

Miraphone 5050

When I was in the land of JTJ and Fsung last summer, I played on John's 5050 and was stunned by its sound and responsiveness! As much as I liked Felix's Virtuoso, the 5050 was in a league by itself!

It is indeed a large horn, but very free-blowing and not stuffy in the least. After a few minutes of trial, I did NOT want to give it back to John! It responded to loud, soft, high, low, tongued, slurred. It just RESPONDED.

My guess is that I would be just as impressed with it after six months as I was when I picked it up for a half-hour or so.

John was recovering from hip surgery when I visited; maybe I should have just run off with the thing while he couldn't follow me too quickly.

It will be a while before I can afford one; I want to get rid of my Willson and have that cash in hand towards acquiring the 5050.

Just my pre-bailout $0.02

Jim W.
    Yamaha 642-II Neo, Wedge 103A/Wick 4AL
    Yamaha 321, Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Miraphone 5050

Jim, I'm fully recovered, so you missed your chance!

John

Miraphone 5050

Like all pro level instruments, it is not for everyone. But everyone who has played it has remarked on its sound, even if they said they ultimately preferred their own instrument to the 5050. I do not know how much this is the signature of the company or the work Demondrae put into developing a horn which gave him the expressiveness he wanted in a euphonium. It plays wonderfully well, and, in my opinion, does not need a trigger.

Miraphone 5050

Originally posted by: JTJ

Like all pro level instruments, it is not for everyone. But everyone who has played it has remarked on its sound, even if they said they ultimately preferred their own instrument to the 5050. I do not know how much this is the signature of the company or the work Demondrae put into developing a horn which gave him the expressiveness he wanted in a euphonium. It plays wonderfully well, and, in my opinion, does not need a trigger.
    I can vouch for the 6th partials being lippable without a trigger. When I got to play John's horn about 6 mos ago, I was surprised that I could actually lip the concert 'F' to go flat some. What a glorious tone the 5050 has.

Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    When the Saints Go Marching In (arr. Mashima) at ACB Conference Ft. Lauderdale
    Cell phone video of : El Cumbanchero:

7. Miraphone 5050

Hey all,I'm returning to the horn, after a 20 year absence. I did go on to a Music Major at UC Davis, but voice was my main performance concentration (but I probably am best suited as a composer). So I haven't really played brass since high school, where I was section leader for both baritone horns, and later tuba -- fairly large, competitive high school.

Anyhow, I just came into some inheritance and after managing my father's affairs for over a year and a half, used some of it to buy a new horn -- a gift to myself. Finally a horn of my own too... not school owned.

This thread solidified the deal in my mind for the Miraphone Ambassador M5050. I had played the Miraphone 186 Tuba in high school and loved it. So with that, I had some brand loyalty to Miraphone, but otherwise was flying VERY blind here and of course I don't have the lips. Luckily, price was no object either. Perhaps too much horn for me now, but I know the more I like something initially, the more I'll probably use it.

Long story short through all my research on this forum and others, and through the awesome price and help from hornguys.com (who are almost local to me... as I live in the Bay Area - California.... them being down in LA) I got the horn. It was delivered yesterday.

Being a geek, I filmed the un-boxing, and the first case opening, narrating some of what I was finding, etc. And I also filmed the first few utterances of me playing it. I have to say, it was reassuring that I didn't think I sounded that bad and the fingering is pretty much there still. Though, I will have to refresh myself on the 4th valve combinations again. So many years were spent on 3 valved horns.

Of course it's gorgeous...

On my web site, I will be keeping a blog with video of my progress, as I teach myself the instrument again in the coming weeks/month. I've got Arban's now and will go through the paces. This time around, I'm sure I'll be much more dedicated, and I know for sure my musicianship and ear are so much better than they were when I was a kid ;-) (40y/o now). Besides, I really, really want to do it!

So... yay for me. I just tooted my own horn. ;-)

- Hunter

Miraphone 5050

Hi Hunter,

Congrats on your new purchase... but sorry to hear about your father passing away.

I'm very envious. Welcome to the forum as well... .
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    When the Saints Go Marching In (arr. Mashima) at ACB Conference Ft. Lauderdale
    Cell phone video of : El Cumbanchero:

Miraphone 5050

Good luck with the new 5050! I think Jim nailed it with his description:

"It is indeed a large horn, but very free-blowing and not stuffy in the least. After a few minutes of trial, I did NOT want to give it back to John! It responded to loud, soft, high, low, tongued, slurred. It just RESPONDED."

That very musical response was what captured me on first blow.

Are you using the Warburton DT mouthpiece which ships with the horn?

John

10. Miraphone 5050

yup! *

It says "WARBURTON MIRAPHONE BT 16 DEMONDRAE" * *with Demondrae in italics.... which is pretty cool, IMHO. *At this point I have no clue if this mouth piece is my best fit, but with the master's named engraved on it, it certainly can't hurt ;-)

I have always had a problem with higher notes... which lends itself to my technique being that of adding way too much pressure, instead of adjusting my lips... I think. *The gradual move in my history from trumpet, to baritone horn/euphonium, and finally tuba helped always to solve the problem. *This time, I'm determined to try to see if I can get beyond concert D without pinching and pressing.... *I have more patience now too, and don't want to hurt myself.

Also, I'm not sure if a mouth piece can help solve my particular situation... but really, I have to get my lips RIGHT NOW on any mouth piece just to become used to playing again!

- Hunter

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast