Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Euphs

1. Cheap Euphs

Al at Big Bottom Music NW is a good guy to deal with if you are looking for a JinBao horn. He will treat you right. Sold me a silver-plated JinBao Eb tuba...great transaction.

2. Cheap Euphs

Anyone played a Jin Yin Compensating euph? Nothing about them online.

(Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, I didn't read the whole 7 pages)

Cheap Euphs

Been looking at the Schiller/Jinbao horns and while the Elite sounds very good, I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the Schiller 400 or equivalent Jinbao 4 valve in line horn. For my use, I don't think that a compensating horn is likely worth the extra money but I still want a horn that approaches the sound of a good Besson, has good intonation, and plays nicely. And is well under the price of the big name horns.

The Schiller 400 is a large shank horn I believe I've read. Otherwise it appears to maybe be a Yamaha 321 clone. Anybody have any experience with the 400 to be able to voice an opinion on the sound quality and playability of the 400 vs the Elite?

The Schiller 450 3+1 doesn't seem to get much press coverage and I wonder why that might be since 3+1 usually gets more recommendations than the 4 in line arrangement. Seems I've read that non-comp 3+1 horns have some intonation problems.

Anybody out there able to comment on the Jinbao non-comp horns? Thanks.

Cheap Euphs

I have a beginner student who plays on a nickel-plated Schiller 400. It was a less-expensive starter option for the family ($537 + shipping) than renting to buy a 3-valve Jupiter or Yamaha 201.

It is a pretty good knock-off of the Yamaha 321, albeit with a larger receiver.

(She thinks it's hilarious that my SM3M for my Willson 2900 doesn't fit into her euph's receiver.)

As far as playing goes, I like its sound better than all the 3-valve beginner horns I'm familiar with (in particular, it blows away the aforementioned Jupiter and Yamama) and the base intonation is also pretty good. Mechanically, the valves are working well and the construction (so far after six months) is holding up.

However, the horn is relatively light and is probably more fragile than some people might like. Her mother accidently "wrinkled" part of the bell flare by tripping over the case while the horn wasn't fully inserted. You can't see it from most angles and it doesn' affect the sound, but it's not an injury I've ever seen on a sturdier horn like a Besson or Willson.

However, for the price they paid you can get three of the Schiller 400s for what a beginner Yamaha 201 or a Jupiter costs around here. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised in a middle school band room, but for someone who will take proper care of it, it should work.

Given the option, though, I'd prefer the Elite. Simply adding a 4th valve to a non-compensating horn just doesn't get the job done, IMO.

=======================
    Dale Long
    South Burlington VT
    Willson 2900S/Denis Wick SM3M
    B.MusEd, SUNY Potsdam, 1979
    M.M., Northwestern University, 1980
    USAF Band of the West, 1981-1985
    =======================

Cheap Euphs

Thank you for the feedback. The Elite is looking more like the one to get.

Frog

Re: Cheap Euphs

TubaMM has the Jin Bao 4-inline on sale for $475 right now.

If you decide to go with the compensator, you might want to check out Mack Brass' and Big Bottom Music's price on the Jin Bao.

[Disclosure: I am not affiliated with and have no financial interest in any of the above-named companies.[/l]

7. Cheap Euphs

These also get branded as Stagg... the valves get the same brown buildups that Amati's get.

We had 2, we sent them back.

Cheap Euphs

This is my first day on this forum. I've been playing a 1923 Conn 86I since 1960, currently active in a community band and some lightweight church soloing. I've been looking lustfully at the horns played by the likes of the Davids Werden and Childs on Youtube, but I don't have $5-7k to spend on a new instrument. What I've read about the Schiller Elite really has me excited. I went on the website, showed the picture to my wife, and she said, "Go for it!" :-D

David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Cheap Euphs

Don't get hung up on the Schiller brand: it's simply a re-badged Jin Bao. For a number of years, Jim Laabs was the low-price leader, but that's no longer the case.

Mack Brass and Big Bottom Music are selling the Jin Bao compensator WITH A TRIAL PERIOD AND RETURN FOR REFUND PRIVILEGES for several hundred dollars less than Jim Laabs ($750 lacquer/$900 silver vs. $885/$1285).

Cheap Euphs

Originally posted by: pam Don't get hung up on the Schiller brand: it's simply a re-badged Jin Bao. For a number of years, Jim Laabs was the low-price leader, but that's no longer the case. Mack Brass and Big Bottom Music are selling the Jin Bao compensator WITH A TRIAL PERIOD AND RETURN FOR REFUND PRIVILEGES for several hundred dollars less than Jim Laabs ($750 lacquer/$900 silver vs. $885/$1285).

Yes, ma'am, I've read the thread, and I'm familiar with the concept of re-badging -- for several years I drove a Mitsubishi re-badged as a Dodge. I've been more interested in the reviews than the German-sounding name, and given what people have been saying about it, they could re-badge it as a Trabant and I'd still be interested :-D

David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast