Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Euphoniuman
    • Jul 2014

Today I have just recieved a Schiller Elite Compensating Euphonium. Other than the issue with purchacing the instrument under the idea that JimLaabs had the instrument in stock. Well after a month and a half of waiting it has arrived.

When I had arrived home from work I was pleased to see a big box on my door step. The instrument was packaged very well, an instrument in a case in a box in a box. Well with that said, I found that my first assesment of the instrument was "WOW".

Alright down to the real assesment of the horn.

Looking at the horn in the case, I examined what I could without touching the horn. The sodering points seemed to be well done, the finish seemed on par with a previous instrument I had purchased. The mother of pearllooked good, no scratches or cracks that were visable. I then picked up the horn out of the case, I was astonished at the weight of the horn. I expected it to be less in weight as compared to YEP-642 and YEP-842, very sturdy of a horn and I do not suspect there to be a problem with damaging it terribly with normal use. The horn felt as though is was about the same weight if not close to what I remember from Yamahas I have held and test played before. I then inspected the rest of the parts I could not see before. The sodering looked great, the only issue I found was small areas on the back of the valve casing to have unpolished look to them. This is not a problem as I believe I may be able to polish those areas. The over all aesthetics of the horn were very well done, I would have to say about a 9 on a scale of 1-10.

Now onto the mechanical aspects of the horn. I first started with the inspection of the slides, they seemed to be right on alighnment with slide receivers. The part of the slides that went into the receiver part of the horn looked very smooth, as it looked like they MFR took time in making sure the fitment was right on. All the slides were able to move with barely any pursuation yet seemed sable and not going to slip out when playing. I then moved my attention to the mouthpeice receiver, I looked to be made very good as the mouthpeice was very secure while in. Now the valves, as many have noted how they are gritty ect... I would have to say at first they were a little noisy, but upon further inspection upon removing the valves they look the way they sound, in that they do not look on par to the rest of the instrument with construction of the horn. The laping of the valves looked to be off a little, yet the valves as a whole were true, I believe that the valves look to be worse than they truely are. The springs were as others have said about this horn, just a standard spring, yes they were loud to hear when compressing the valves and decompressing the valves. On the fourth valve there seemed to be more noise than the other valves, when looking closer I saw that the fourth didn't have a great damper felt on the inside of the valve, this could be easily fixed. Over all feeling about the mechanical aspects of the horn I woulod give it and over all score of a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

Now for play ability. At first I started with some long tones, My tone quality was severly off as I haven't played for about seven month's, and before that for about seven years. the notes seemed to carry very well and sounded more full the more time I had on the horn. Second I played some lyrical peices along with some scales varying between them. after fiddeling around with some crazyness as going to the lowest I can play and the highest I can play, which isn't to far off from when I played every day, there didnt seem as to be much resistance to the horn or the ability to make the horn sing if you need it to. After playing for about a hour I found that yes my tone improved but I do have a very good feeling that this horn has much more to show me. The over all soundness of the horn was great, there weren't to many notes I felt that needed to be lipped up or down, and the intonation on the horn is very close if not on par to playing the Yamahas. My over all score for playability is a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

My over all impression of this horn is great, the intonation is great, there doesn't seem to much of a problem with the durability of the horn, and there is more that I haven't experienced with this horn as I suspect that every report I have now will increase as I get some face time on the horn. My over all score for this horn is a 7 1/2 to 8 on a scale of 1-10.

This is my interpretation of this horn for just the first time playing it and inspecting it. I am very critical with my instruments and have in the past made the improvements I needed to do to my instruments in order to have them where they need to be for me.

Richard

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for the detailed review! If your experience is like most, I suspect you will like the horn more as you get it broken it.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• DaveBj
        • Oct 2011

Be sure to take proper care of the valves for the first few months -- clean, dry, and oil after every session. (That advice is here on the forum somewhere, don't have time to hunt for it right now.) I did that for my Jinbao, and the valves now work butter-smooth
        David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
        2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
        2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
        2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
        Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
        Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• John the Theologian
          • Apr 2013

I received my Mack Brass version of the Jinbao a couple of weeks ago and while I haven't spent extensive time with it-- our jazz band had a couple of gigs that had me playing a lot of trombone-- so far I can report that the horn plays extremely well. The tone is very nice, the valves are breaking in very well and a quick and fairly quiet-- especially after I put the Yamaha plastic coated springs in. Intonation is good. The silver finish is well done and I have no complaints about the horn except that the valve corks are rather rough looking-- one is even drilled out off center. I'll replace those later. Overall, the horn is everything I hoped for.

I do have one thing I'm working out. I find that the G above middle C doesn't slot very well for me. I had the same problem on my old Yamaha 321. I guess I still miss being able to use the shortened 2nd position that we have on trombone in which that note slots so well on both of my trombones. I'll keep working on it.

I still haven't settled on my final mouthpiece yet. So far I've been using the UMI 5G that I use on my large bore trombone, but I did try a Wick SM4 at the local music store and I think it does sound better on a larger mp. I have another 4 mp, a King 4G-- one like the UMI-CKB tulip shaped mps-- that I have access to, so I might try that.

I'm still getting my euphonium technique back after a layoff, but I'm going to play a gig with one of the local community bands this coming week and give it a try in more than the practice room.

Anyway, I can give another strong recommendation for the Jinbao euph. One of my section mates in our jazz band also plays euph and he tried and really liked it as well.

Comment

• dkerfoot
            • Jul 2014

I registered with the sole purpose of thanking you all for the excellent information.

After buying my son a very nice Yamaha trumpet, he ended up switching to Euphonium his Sr. year of High School and earned a couple scholarships for Music Ed. He got by using a very beat up borrowed baritone his Freshman year, but was more or less told to not return this Fall without a better instrument.

This forum has been an invaluable source of information as I researched potential used instruments and finally settled on the Mack Brass Compensating Euphonium.

I sent an email on a Saturday and within 15 minutes Tom called me back and spent close to an hour answering my questions and providing information. He happened to have a few left in stock and promised to ship by Tuesday. Well, he shipped on Monday and the instrument arrived Wednesday in perfect condition.

My son is thrilled and I spent less than half of what I figured I'd need to in order to get the instrument he needs.

Thanks to you all!

Comment

• dsurkin
              • Feb 2014

I got my Mack Brass euphonium about a month ago. The first valve needed to be lapped (Tom picked up the expense of my having it done locally). I replaced the springs yesterday with the Yamaha springs (bought from Horn Guys, good price and fast shipping), and that solved the problem of noisiness and extraneous vibration.

The valves are not as smooth as I would like. I thought they would be broken in by now, by I see elsewhere on this thread to expect six months to break them in. I'm looking forward to that. My standard for valves in a Benge trumpet played by a friend of mine from college. Once in freshman year he let me try his instrument, and I had never in my life played on such a well-made horn with such fast and smooth valves (his horn was about a year old at the time, and he had bought it from the Benge factory back in the days when they were the top trumpet maker on the west coast).

I've noticed another issue, that may be the horn or may be me: the tone changes slightly with different fingerings. I suspect this has to do with the different bore as it increases in diameter throughout the length of the tubing. I expected to hear a difference when using the fourth valve, but I hear a difference in tone between using 1-2 and 1-3. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.
              Dean L. Surkin
              Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
              Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
              Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
              See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• RickF
                • Jan 2006

As you have found already on the forum, it can take some time for the valves to seat or really break in. My 4th valve on my M5050 would stick off and on at times, but after about 6 months it's now fine. Also, last month I had my horn ultra-sonically cleaned and all the valves work flawlessly. I suspect that even though I cleaned out my horn periodically, there was still some compound floating around inside from manufacturing.

As far as difference in tone between 1-2 and 1-3 fingering, not real sure. But one time I noticed a difference in tone between 1-2 and 3 alone (same pitch of concert 'G'). I found some slide grease clumped up way inside my 1st valve slide. I stopped using that brand ever since (Super Lube synthetic grease). Maybe you have a similar thing in one of your slides.

Hope this helps.
                Rick Floyd
                Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)
                ​

Comment

• dsurkin
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RickF View Post
                  As you have found already on the forum, it can take some time for the valves to seat or really break in. My 4th valve on my M5050 would stick off and on at times, but after about 6 months it's now fine. Also, last month I had my horn ultra-sonically cleaned and all the valves work flawlessly. I suspect that even though I cleaned out my horn periodically, there was still some compound floating around inside from manufacturing.

As far as difference in tone between 1-2 and 1-3 fingering, not real sure. But one time I noticed a difference in tone between 1-2 and 3 alone (same pitch of concert 'G'). I found some slide grease clumped up way inside my 1st valve slide. I stopped using that brand ever since (Super Lube synthetic grease). Maybe you have a similar thing in one of your slides.

Hope this helps.
                  Thanks, it does.
                  Dean L. Surkin
                  Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                  Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                  See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• dsurkin
                    • Feb 2014

I have a question about water valves, and their placement. On the Mack Brass euphonium, I regularly empty the water from the valves on the main tuning slide, the 3rd valve, and the 1st valve. I pull the 2nd valve slide to empty water from it. There is no water valve on the tubing from the 4th valve back through the pistons, and I just occurred to me (duh!) that I probably should be emptying that slide as often as I do the other slides. Is there a reason why there's no water valve on the 4th valve slide? I noticed that the Wessex, which is a customized version of the JinBao euphonium, has water valves on the 4th valve slide and the 2nd valve slide.
                    Dean L. Surkin

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

This is a "feature" of classic 4 valve compensating euphs. My theory is that the manufacturers (originally Besson/Boosey&Hawkes) decided that since the 4th valve didn't get used as much as 1-2-3, the slide would not get as much condensed water as the other three slides. Therefore, they didn't put a water key on for cost reasons. Even today, the Sovereign does not have a water key on 4. But Besson added a water key on the 4th valve when they came out with the Prestige. Further, the new German manufactured Sovereigns do not have a "pullable" slide on the 1st valve compensating loop, while the Prestige does.

So, in answer, I think the reason was primarily cost.

Doug

PS. I rarely use water keys, since I prefer to pull the slides and dump water rather than blow water all over my horn.
                      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

My theory: the smaller the tube and the more frequently it is used, the more water will build up. The 4th valve is (usually) the least used and it is the largest valve slide on a compensating horn. It probably has something to do with how the valve ports are routed, too, but I'm not sure about that.

It's not expensive to build such a key onto the slide. Perhaps one or more of the clone dealers could get the factory to make up a batch so they can offer one as an accessory.

FWIW, I'm getting a 4th slide with water key for my Adams. I don't pull the 4th slide to dump it often, but when I do it's not the most convenient thing in the world.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• DaveBj
                          • Oct 2011

I dump the 4th valve slide at the end of my playing session. There's usually a few drops of water in there, not enough to start burbling.
                          David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                          2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                          2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                          2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                          Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                          Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

Working...
                          X