Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

I thought this would be a good subject for discussion after rereading the Michael Colburn thread in the euphonium section:

How many euphonium and/or tuba players can we name that are now band directors?

Michael Colburn (euphonium) - U.S. Marine Band
    Loras Schissel (tuba) - Virginia Grand Military Band & Cleveland Orchestra - Festival Band
    Robert Childs (euphonium) - Cory Band
    Nicholas Childs (euphonium) - Black Dyke Band
    Paul Droste (euphonium) - Brass Band of Columbus
    Fred Dart (euphonium) - Royal Palm Beach Comm. BandThis is just a start from off the top of my head (I know I forgot a bunch). Please add below any and all you can think of.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hmmm. Should we also count past directors? Anyway, here are some:

Colin Cranson, former principal euphonium with the Foden Motor Works Band; now Musical Director of the Roberts Bakery BandLeonard Falcone, soloist and longtime director of bands at Michigan State UniversityMorgan Griffiths, Principal euphonium and musical director of the YBS BandRaymond G. Young, former professor of low brass and director of bands at The University of Southern MississippiTyrone Breuninger, former trombonist in the Philadelphia Orchestra; currently solo euphonium and assistant conductor of the Atlantic Brass BandHenry Charles Smith, former trombone and euphonium with the Philadelphia Orchestra, director of the AZ State U Band, former associate conductor of the Minnesota Orchestra. Henry Charles directed the band for Michael Colburn's solo CD.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Steve Mead currently conducts Whitburn Band, though - obviously - it's not his principal endeavour.

Dr. Paul Bryan (euphonium) - Duke Univ. Wind Symphony, Durham Youth Symphony, Triangle Brass Band (I think)

Here on Long Island, Don Sherman is a euphonist who directs the northport Community Band and Michael Canipe Trombonist and Euphonist conducts and directs several local bands including the Gemini Concert Winds. Both are also members of the Long Island Tuba Quartet (2 euphs and 2 tubas).

Originally posted by: davewerden

Hmmm. Should we also count past directors?
    How about "The King", Karl King? Here is a fun website with some old photos of the Barnum & Bailey Circus Band and others:

Karl King
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

6. Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

Both my jr. high band director and my high school band director are both euphonium players.

7. Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

I'm pretty sure that Danny Helseth is the main director of Brass Band Northwest these days... His CD "Snapshots" showcases some really beautiful playing.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

8. Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

Originally posted by: fsung

Steve Mead currently conducts Whitburn Band, though - obviously - it's not his principal endeavour.

Dr. Paul Bryan (euphonium) - Duke Univ. Wind Symphony, Durham Youth Symphony, Triangle Brass Band (I think)
    I'm pretty sure that Steve Mead also conducts the Sound Inn Brass... At least he used to, not sure if he still does.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

9. Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

William Santelmann, Marine Band leader until Schoepper took over.

10. Euphonium or Tuba players that became directors

Robert Ryker. Many orchestras world wide.
    http://www.windsongpress.com/b...players/tuba/ryker.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast