• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • euphisto
    • Jul 2006

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Hello Mike (mbrooke),

The Dillon mouthpiece sounds interesting. I've heard Dillon has a line of euphonium mouthpieces, but they don't seem to advertise on their website. Do you have a picture of the B3B? Thanks.

euphisto

Comment

• JTJ
      • Nov 2005

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Greg, what you describe seems perfectly normal: that after a period playing a trombone with a 5GS you need to refocus your air when going back to an SM4 on a euph. You are rebalancing on the euph and that is not done instantly, for most of us anyway. If you are happy with the SM4 sound and the rim size, I would stay within that general size and mouthpiece philosophy. If I wanted something smaller, I would try an SM5 or 5AL. If you try the BB1, do make sure it feels natural and not forced. My belief is that Doug Elliott is correct when he drives home the point that one size does not fit everyone, that you can force yourself on something not natural for you, but that many mouthpiece and sound issues resolve themselves when a person finds the right rim width, irrespective of other variables.

John

Comment

• mbrooke
        • Jan 2006

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Robert,

Here is a photo. Dillon does not list them on their website.

Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

• DelVento
          • Aug 2007

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Originally posted by: mbrooke

Robert,

Here is a photo. Dillon does not list them on their website.

Mike
          wow that's huge!

Comment

• mbrooke
            • Jan 2006

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

It's BB1 size.

Mike

Comment

• euphisto
              • Jul 2006

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the picture. I think I've seen those around, but for some reason I thought they were discontinued. I also seem to remember that Dillon had a mouthpiece similar in dimensions to the SM3. Somehow I recall Gail Robertson played on a Dillon mouthpiece, but that was a while ago.

How do you like the mouthpiece? Do they come in different shank sizes? Oh, and how's the silver plating on the B3B? I've gone through the silver plating on several BB1s.

euphisto

Comment

• DelVento
                • Aug 2007

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Originally posted by: mbrooke

It's BB1 size.

Mike
                Huh, must be the pic lol.

Looks like a nice piece...I might be interested.

Comment

• Snorlax
                  • Mar 2007

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Well, I have been on my BB1 for a couple weeks now and I won't go back to the bigger pieces I had been using.

Seems that the BB1 allows me to achieve my usual results with less effort than the bigger pieces I had been playing. My accuracy also seems to have improved.

From what I can tell on gigs and basement practice, the tone is less diffuse than it had been with a Wick 3 or PS-SOLO, or (certainly) a Bach 2G.

So now I need to find a BB1 with a small shank for my 321 and bass trumpet.

I do have a Finn 55C6 with 2 rims to dispose of, as well as another PS-SOLO.
                  I will entertain offers to buy or trade.

Jim
                  Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                  Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                  bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                  Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                  Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                  Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                  www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• dkstone
                    • Dec 2006

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

Jim,

Do you think a BB1 might be too deep of a cup to use with a bass trumpet? I tried a Schilke 51D with mine and decided it was just too dark. The sound almost bordered on an English baritone. I have a 51B and a 51C4 that I use with the bass trumpet instead. The 51B gets the brighter sound (shallow cup), but I tend to prefer the 51C4. Of course, the horn itself will have the most dominant effect on the sound. If your bass trumpet has a naturally bright sound, then a BB1 might not darken it too much. My bass trumpet has a dark sound for the kind of horn it is - darker than my tenor trombone.

David

Comment

• Snorlax
                      • Mar 2007

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

David...
                      Thanx for the post.
                      I would be using the BB1 on THREE horns, actually...the bass trumpet, a real British baritone, and a Yamahe 321.

My main use for all of these instruments is either jazz soloing or playing french horn parts in my brass quintet.

I find that jazz soloing on my Willson does not give the sound I want when playing jazz, so I restrict use of the Willson to "classical" soloing and brass/wind band playing.

So far, my quintet tells me that the British baritone works well as a pseudo-horn. The 321 is a second choice but often is just too much sound. So in my case, actually, a sound like a baritone would be ok

I am still experimenting with the Holton 58 bass trumpet, so I will try the things you mention as well as the BB1. I've only had the bass trumpet for a week or so back from the repair man.

I'd like to keep the same mouthpiece across all four instruments, hence the desire for the small BB1. On the bass trumpet, I'd like NOT to resort to a 12C or some such. So far I have tried a Giardinelli thing with a throat I had reamed out, a Bach 5G, a Wick 5, and a couple others I can't recall.

Thanx again for the reply; you have set me on a path of thought...let's see where it goes!!
                      Jim W.
                      Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
                      Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
                      bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
                      Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
                      Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
                      Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
                      www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Comment

• pgiampi1
                        • Apr 2008

Wow! I am playing a BB1!

I did not try the B3B, although I did try an M3B made of brass and didn't notice a difference. My switch to the BB1 was mostly about changing my embouchure - at this point, especially after taking some time over the winter break to step back and approach the mouthpiece on a clean slate (instead of feverishly adjusting before juries), I am very satisfied with the BB1 and feel that my sound has darkened as I've learned how to use the air it requires more efficiently. You know, we talk a lot about big dark sound, but in my case, the big dark sound I found myself making and striving for was so unfocused that I am happy to have gotten a chance to sort of start over and build my sound from the ground up.

One other BB1 note - Dr. Bowman handed me a mouthpiece to try that looked a lot like the B3B that is pictured above - and in fact it was exactly the same as a mouthpiece that Rob Pendergast had posted a picture of over a year ago wondering what it was. Dr. B said it is a BB1 heavyweight model - so just with all that extra mass. It felt like my old mouthpieces, that have FELT heavy and dark to play, but now that I've switched I would never prefer to go back because it really seems to mask what I'm trying to do inside the mouthpiece. So it took about two months to fully adjust, but I feel like I'm sounding better than ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X