X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • angeloR
    • Sep 2008

2009-2010 College Auditions

I have been researching to find solos for my college auditions next year. As my technical solo I have chosen "The Volunteer," by Walter Rogers.

I have been trying to decide on a lyrical solo, but I cannot make up my mind. I might use "Pantomime," by Philip Sparke.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • GregEuphonium
    • Jun 2007

Pantomime is something that you could choose as both a lyrical and technical solo. I don't know if you've listened to it past the opening slow section, but it goes into a very bouncy and fun 10/8 section, then ends with a very fast and very technical 2/4 section. To be honest it's not really the type of piece that I think any high school student should be playing. You can give it a shot if you want... but I wouldn't recommend it.
    If you're looking for a good lyrical solo why not something like "Nessun Dorma" (several good arrangments available) or Rachmaninoff's "Vocalise". Pieces like that have almost no technical difficulty but can really show off your lyrical playing abilities. There are other possibilities out there such as doing a transcription of a German "Lieder" (song for solo voice and piano). There are several German lieder by composers like Mendelssohn, Mahler, and Schubert that would work very well.
    I would highly recommend listening to as many euphonium cd's as you can and see what the professional euphonium artists are playing for their lyrical pieces. I know that Mr. Werden has a few recordings of him (available through the forum) playing "Send In The Clowns", and Mendelssohn's "Oh, For the Wings of a Dove". Adam Frey has recordings of "Nessun Dorma" and "Vocalise" available. Matt Murchison recorded a few of Mahler's lieder on his solo cd... I could go on and on and on...
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• fsung
      • Feb 2008

I'm going to agree with Greg re: Pantomime.

Remember: you're not being measured against the other applicants; you're being measured against the worst student currently in the studio, because his/her playing establishes the baseline for getting in. So your playing has to be at least at that level, both musically and technically. The audition committee is not going to award points for degree of difficulty; they're only going to award points playing in time, in tune, and with appropriate phrasing, dynamics, and expression. They're going to assume that you picked solos that allow you to showcase your ability at its best, and they're NOT going to overlook the musicality of your technical solo, nor are they going to overlook the technical aspects of your playing on your lyrical solo. They're going to judge you on BOTH aspects of both solos. Don't hand them an excuse to dock you points if you don't have to.

Greg has made several good suggestions of lyrical solos; another possibility might be Ennio Morricone's [i]Gabriel's Oboe[/].

Comment

• Euphdad
        • Aug 2007

My son is currently getting ready for his upcoming auditions.

Concertino Op 4 by David
        Lyric Suite by White
        Andante and Allegro by Handel

He knows all movements of each of the above.

He's also required for some schools to perform 2 etudes. One will be a Koppraisch and one will be a Rochut.

One school also asks for Band or orchestra excerpts as appropriate to training and experience.

...and always Arban's Variations of Carnival of Venice ...... :-)

Euphdad

Comment

• JTJ
          • Nov 2005

I have a friend, a pianist who accompanies college students on their juries. She says brass players usually do fine on the technical stuff but are much weaker on the lyrical. Both are important, but the lyrical may be a way to impress, because musicality generally follows technical development, not leads it. There are lots of young players with fast fingers, but not that many who you really want to listen to because of their musical playing.

"Peace" by John Golland is astonishingly beautiful, a masterwork of sustained lyricism. For a dollar you can buy Tormod Flaten's or Adam Frey's performance of it off iTunes. It's worth a listen.

John

Comment

• Kurfie549
            • Nov 2008

another piece that will show you lyrical ability while still being a fun song is a walk in the woods by jiro censhu. check out adam freys recording

Comment

Working...
            X