Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carnival of Venice

Carnival of Venice

I'll add my 2¢ worth. I would buy the solo in treble clef and slog through it as a way to learn treble clef. My opinion is that all serious euphonium players should learn treble, bass and tenor clefs. Wait until you tackle Symphonic Variants, where Curnow pops you back and forth from bass to tenor. The same thing happens in much of the trombone literature.

Besides, knowing treble opens up the world of the brass band as a playing opportunity.

I learned alto clef by slogging through a score note by note, because I wanted to play Elegie, the piece from Thomas Ruedi's alblum of the same name. It's originally for viola, and that's the clef they play in, and was the only arrangement I could find.

John

2. Carnival of Venice

I have to agree that it's important for any serious euph player to learn bass, treble, AND tenor clef. Even if you're not using it much, it opens up a lot of new repertoire, and not only music written for euphonium. It gives you a chance to play trumpet, clarinet, and some older trombone music. I'm a high school student myself, and it's nice to be able to use music from many instrument's repertoire.

Also, when you're learning Bb treble clef, don't think of transposing as you go. Grab a begining trumpet book, and the Carnival of Venice, and just dig in and learn it just like you first learned bass clef. It's just like a new language; you have to immerse yourself in it.

3. Carnival of Venice

I know how to read tenor and bass, and I'm also planning on learning treble. Isn't the trumpet arrangement in the key of Bb? That probably wouldn't help me read treble clef as much as it would help me transpose between keys.

Angelo

Carnival of Venice

The trumpet and treble clef euphonium music are both in B flat treble clef, where the pitch sounded when you read a treble C is concert B flat. That's different from C treble clef where a concert C is actually played when a C is written. If you can read tenor clef, it is very easy to shift to B flat treble -- the notes are in the same places on the staff, but there are some issues around accidentals.

Carnival of Venice

Hey Angelo,

Completely off topic:

I just noticed that you are a Senior at Miami Killian. Guess what? I also went to Killian - Class of 1970. I was in the marching band and wind ensemble directed by Dane Wills (also a euphonium player). My Freshman class "opened" Killian when it was brand new in 1966. Killian began as a racially integrated school in an area whose schools and neighborhoods were traditionally segregated - and we were all determined to show the naysayers that we would be among the best in everything. And we did! I hope Killian still has that spirit!

Vaguely on topic:

So when I was a freshman, the school instruments had been ordered but not delivered. Mr Wills, the director, obtained a circa 1920 York euphonium from the Salvation Army for me to play. It was high pitch and had that funny conversion slide - but we didn't know about high pitch or what the slide was for (it is not obvious I can tell you). I had all the slides pulled, but some notes were so off pitch that I refused to play them. At times it literally made me want to cry with frustration! Fortunately the school instruments arrived about half way into the year and we were rewarded with brand new King bell fronts - satin silver - beautifull!

- Carroll

Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

6. Carnival of Venice

Actually, I'm a Junior. Also, we only have Yamaha's and the Bach that I play on. Unfortunately, my small bore mouthpiece is greatly damaged, so I can only play on the Bach (which is the only large bore euph).

Killian is doing great, marching band is at BOA right now, and we (the wind ensemble) are going to the concert festival as well.

Angelo

7. Carnival of Venice

Originally posted by: JTJ

I'll add my 2¢ worth. I would buy the solo in treble clef and slog through it as a way to learn treble clef. My opinion is that all serious euphonium players should learn treble, bass and tenor clefs. Wait until you tackle Symphonic Variants, where Curnow pops you back and forth from bass to tenor. The same thing happens in much of the trombone literature.

Besides, knowing treble opens up the world of the brass band as a playing opportunity.

I learned alto clef by slogging through a score note by note, because I wanted to play Elegie, the piece from Thomas Ruedi's alblum of the same name. It's originally for viola, and that's the clef they play in, and was the only arrangement I could find.

John
    I actually did my own arrangement of that piece and performed it yesterday for my Recital. A little different from Ruedi's version, but very similar. Thinking about having it published if there is strong demand for this piece.

8. Carnival of Venice

Just play with the music in the Arban's book, and give the judge and your piano player the Cornet version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12