X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sousa
    • Oct 2008

Besson Euphonium - Model Number?

I have a Besson Euphonium and can't find the model number. I ordered it my first year of teaching in 1969 and it arrived from production in England in 1970. It is a large shank, 4-valve compensating, laquer finish horn. On the bell is inscribed:
    50 Medals of Honor
    The old English B
    Besson
    A star
    London-Paris-New York
    Made in England

I'm entertaining the idea of selling it but am unable to find the model number. Anyone that could help me out would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • fsung
    • Feb 2008

Except for the production date, it sounds a lot like my Besson 767, aka "New Standard," which dates from 1975. See the discussion here.

The thing that's puzzling to me is the production date. All the information I've been able to find indicates that Besson switched to the large shank in mid-1974, although that may be when they stopped making euro-shanks rather than when they started making large shanks. Perhaps Dave Werden or Klaus Bjerre (ImperialBari) will be able to clarify matters.

Comment

• highams
      • Feb 2006

Export models to the US & Canada rarely carried the name New Standard or Imperial in those days, simply Besson or B &H. I saw a number of pre Sovereign models being fitted with large receivers in the early 70's, tho' standard production ones still had the smaller units fitted until the Wick m/pieces came online.

The late great Barrie Perrins told me there was also a wide variation in the bottom bow branch in the last few Imperial/New Standard models leading up to the Sovereign euph production.

The New Standard logo was also used way back in the early 1900's too.

CB

Comment

• fsung
        • Feb 2008

Thanks for weighing in, Charley. That's good to know.

Comment

Working...
        X