Thread: Bernard McKinney (Kiane Zawadi) - jazz euphonium

Bernard McKinney (Kiane Zawadi) - jazz euphonium

I'm interested to hear what euphonium players think of him, and I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't been discussed more on this forum.

While it seems that Rich Matteson is the euphonium players' favorite jazz player, Bernard McKinney was more involved in the groundbreaking innovation in Detroit and New York hard-bop scenes, and seems to occupy a more central role in the history of the development of jazz.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg...3zfixqt5ldfe~T1

He was a featured soloist on one of the greatest Blue Note recordings of the hard bop era - Freddie Hubbard's "Ready For Freddie." He is also on some terrific recordings with Donald Byrd, Yusef Lateef, Hank Mobley and Pepper Adams, among others.

I would have to say that his improvisation is not quite at the level of a Freddie Hubbard or Yusef Lateef, and that he isn't quite as technically proficient as Rich Matteson (and certainly doesn't have the "classic" euph sound). However, I'd also say that his nuanced jazz feel, naturalness of expression, and understanding of the language of jazz improvisation is unparalleled for jazz euphonium players.

I'd definitely recommend that any euphonium player interested in hearing the euphonium's potential as a jazz instrument needs to check out some of his recordings.

Anyone else here ever hear his playing and have an opinion?

Bernard McKinney (Kiane Zawadi) - jazz euphonium

Yes, I have heard him and he is certainly noteworthy (no pun intended)! His technique on the valves is not that of a Rich Matteson, but his ideas are good and his style is perfect for the music I've heard him play.

I own the album Ready for Freddie, named for the lead artist Freddie Hubbard (a fantastic trumpet jazzer). This is recognized as a great jazz album and is one of the most significant jazz album ever to prominently feature a euphonium.

The remastered album is listed on Amazon here (proceeds help support his site):

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Freddie.../dp/B000TETMEC
    Last edited by davewerden; 06-16-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Bernard McKinney (Kiane Zawadi) - jazz euphonium

Hello,

I saw this forum and wanted to say, right on! this is great. The euphonium can be a great jazz instrument. Also, I love the sound & vibe of Kiane Zawadi & wanted to let folks know he is leading a band this weekend in Brooklyn, NY. at the jazz club: Sistas' Place, 456 Nostrand Avenue at Jefferson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. For more info & a reservation call 718-398-1766. Tickets only $20.

So, I hope you can join us on Saturday, April 25th @ 9 and 10:30pm. It will be "A Tribute to Roland Alexander," featuring trombonist/bandleader Kiane Zawadi (Bernard McKinney), tenor saxophonist Charles Davis Jr., Richard Clements on piano, bassist Gerry Eastman, and Taru Alexander on drums.