X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BCbari
    • Jan 2008

Need Some Advice

I am looking for some advice on which horn would be right for me. I currently play on a Hirsbrunner HBS 378 and after playing on it for the past 3-4 years I have decided that it isn't what I am looking for. It has a rich, dark sound that I want but the valve action and some of the intonation isn't ideal for what I am wanting. I've played on a Willson 2950 and I really like the valve action but it takes too much air to play it the way it should. I am interested in the York 4052 but I am limited on my knowledge of this horn. It seems it would be right, but I don't want to spend the money and regret it. I have heard that it is a great horn, but just didn't fit some people's playing style.

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you all can help me make an informed decision!

PS: To buy a new horn I will need to sell my Hirsbrunner. So if anyone is looking for one at about $4,000 let me know.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Need Some Advice

My impression of the York is that is an improvement over the OLD Bessons in some ways, and preserves that large, rich sound of those horns. The response is improved over the old Bessons, but not quite to the standard of some other brands.

If you want a solid sound and good intonation, have you considered trying the Sterling Virtuoso? The company was founded by former Besson employees (including Besson's former production manager) and it claims to be the only pro euphonium made in England today. The horn has about the best "native" intonation around, and it offers a main tuning slide trigger to really lock things in. The valve group they use is engineered and made in Germany and is very smooth and precise. Seems like it might offer you what you seek. The model I use has a 300mm bell, which is a nice compromise between volume capacity and response/clarity. The 310mm bell has a larger sound but requires strong chops.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• BCbari
      • Jan 2008

Need Some Advice

I have checked out what I can online of the Sterling Virtuoso, but I have not played one. I have to admit I am interested in such a horn. However, I have to ask, what is the difference in the Red Brass and the Yellow Brass options for this horn? Also would the 310mm bell resemble that of the Willson 2950?

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Need Some Advice

The yellow brass also sound nice, but the red has a little more "ring" to it - more life. The 310mm is roughly the diameter of the 2950, but I believe the taper is different, which is part of the magic of the Sterling's sound. When I was playing in the CG Band full time I preferred the larger bell. But for my current mix which includes more chamber playing, the 300mm is much better.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• fsung
          • Feb 2008

Need Some Advice

I own a Sterling Virtuoso with the 310mm bell. I've only played a 2950 briefly, but my impression is that the Virtuoso is more free-blowing and responsive than the 2950.

If you prefer the brighter, German sound and the valves of the 2950, you may want to try the Willson 2900BT (large shank version of the 2900). I find it slightly more free-blowing than the Virtuoso, and very similar in responsiveness. From player comments I've read, it appears that it's more responsive than and an easier blow than the 2950.

Re: the York 4052 - FWIW, as Dave mentioned in the York-Besson thread, there have been reports of York having valve problems earlier this year. It very well could be sorted out by now, but it's not exactly reassuring, given Schreiber-Keilworth's history of spotty quality control while they were making the Besson horns.

Comment

• BCbari
            • Jan 2008

Need Some Advice

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind when I get to test a York out in a few weeks.

Do either one of you know if there is a store that carries the Virtuoso in the GA/AL area?

BTW, I really appreciate the help I am getting!

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Need Some Advice

So far the Virtuoso is only available from Custom Music (near Detroit). But they will arrange to ship you one if you would like to try it. Give them and call and ask about that. Maybe you could time that so it would be around the same time you are trying the York???
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• jgrahameuph2011
                • Jun 2011

Hirsbrunner.

Hey is your hirsbrunner still for sale? If so, I am interested!

Comment

Working...
                X