Thread: Auditioned for NEBB

1. Auditioned for NEBB

Today I auditioned for the New England Brass Band for the 2nd baritone seat vacated by Doug Yeo's wife. I had really hoped to be able to play in NEBB as it is the only brass band in my section of the woods. Unfortunatly, I did not get the seat. The audition was deservedly won by a young man who is a student of Jim O'Dell's from New England Conservatory. I guess being a full time music student is helpful!

Oh well....I will keep trying...but I know what some feel when they say your biological clock is ticking. At the age of 57, having had a heart attack 8 years ago and numerous cardiac procedures and rehabs, I am VERY thankful to be able to continue to practice and play at a relatively high level, just the same I really would like to have access to a regular high-level performance opportunity.

Congratulations to the NEBB....(Now if a euphonium seat would open up at NEBB or Metropoloitan Wind Symphony.....!!!)

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Auditioned for NEBB

Wow! Great job Doug!

To go through all that you've recently gone through and be able to keep up with the full-time students is a testament to your ability. I'd also like to commend you on your positivity about it all, it's a very refreshing breeze these days.

Keep sharing your music and I'm sure you'll find a place to call home!

Chad

Auditioned for NEBB

So no excuses now Doug, you move to England and become a valued member of just about any brass band you like! (lol).

Stay well, Chas

Auditioned for NEBB

Originally posted by: daruby

Today I auditioned for the New England Brass Band for the 2nd baritone seat vacated by Doug Yeo's wife. I had really hoped to be able to play in NEBB as it is the only brass band in my section of the woods. Unfortunatly, I did not get the seat. The audition was deservedly won by a young man who is a student of Jim O'Dell's from New England Conservatory. I guess being a full time music student is helpful!

Oh well....I will keep trying...but I know what some feel when they say your biological clock is ticking. At the age of 57, having had a heart attack 8 years ago and numerous cardiac procedures and rehabs, I am VERY thankful to be able to continue to practice and play at a relatively high level, just the same I really would like to have access to a regular high-level performance opportunity.

Congratulations to the NEBB....(Now if a euphonium seat would open up at NEBB or Metropoloitan Wind Symphony.....!!!)

Doug
    I guess I'm good to have audition to the Boston Conservatory in order to study under Jim lol.

Good job though Doug you've really been an inspiration to me nonetheless.

5. Auditioned for NEBB

Originally posted by: 2MuchTone

I guess I'm good to have audition to the Boston Conservatory in order to study under Jim lol.

Good job though Doug you've really been an inspiration to me nonetheless.
    Many thanks for the good wishes. Actually, I have been subbing regularly for NEBB and will play their next concert on Dec. 20. Perhaps next year!.....

Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. Auditioned for NEBB

Well, I guess good things do come to those who wait. Over the last year, I subbed for both NEBB and Metropolitan Winds. I played two concerts (both on 1st baritone) for NEBB and 4 concerts in Met Winds summer series. I also subbed in rehearsal on 1st/2nd euph and 1st/2nd baritone for NEBB. About two weeks ago, I got a note from Stephen Bulla saying that I'd been given the 1st baritone seat for the upcomning 2009-2010 season. I got the music (difficult! and a hoprn (a new York 3056) over the last week and as soon as I overcome a current bout with kidney stones, I will be practicing my little heart out.

I am so thrilled. I know that I need to immediately work on a few things:

1. English baritones do not play like euphonium. These horns have an incomplete compensating system (the compensating loops on 1 and 3 are too short) and therefore have some tough intonation issues. I will work with my tuner to get used to the pitches. My experience so far is that even though the 3056 is a 3+1 compensator, I have to play it more like my old American Connstellation baritone with alternate fingerings. In this respect, the 3 valve horns (Besson 955 and York 3055) are actually better. Also, the new Besson 2056 is a complete redisgn that provides properly engineered compensating loops.

2. Normally, on a tenor shank horn, I'd use a Wick 4AY, but it is too large for the English baritone. The large MPC does not work with the natural resonance of the baritone. A Wick 5BS (near a Bach 5G) works better and I am considering the SM6B (close to a 6.5AL).

3. The baritone needs a much more controlled vibrato (if any at all). If I use anything close to my natural euph vibrato I start bending the notes a full semitone.

These idiosyncracies of the horn I can correct by myself. However I have had a good chat with Stephen and I know that I also need to change my ensemble concept for baritone.

4. Baritone is very much a supporting instrument and needs to blend into the ensemble. Sometimes baritone is the bottom member of the "horn section" (fluegelhorn and 1st/2nd/3rd tenor horns) and some times it is a member of the euph section. In all cases, it plays a supporting role so I need to absolve myself of thinking and playing soloistically. This will require rehearsal and practice in the ensmble so that I can learn how to blend better.

In any case, I am thrilled to have a real musical challenge facing me over the next year. In addition, I intend to continue working on euphonium, and with the support of my teacher, Mike Milnarik, I want to plan another major spring recital. I am determined to work out my multiple tonguing and do something that demands that,

Best wishes to you all.

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Auditioned for NEBB

Good goin', Doug! I'm sure you'll have a great time. Baritone takes a while to get used to, but I'm sure you'll get there before long.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Auditioned for NEBB

Congratulations Doug!! Sounds very interesting and challenging. I'm sure you'll do a great job.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Auditioned for NEBB

Congratulations Doug! Yet another reason to come hear the NEBB in person!

--Frank
    Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited