Thread: Meinl Weston 751

Meinl Weston 751

Has anyone had a chance to try the the meinl weston horn developed with Matt Tropman? I know Dave said on a previous post that he found the sound to be too light. Does anyone else have any comments? I would sure like to try one, but they don't seem to be available in stores yet.

I believe they had one at ITEC, and I regrettably didn't get a chance to try it.

TJ

2. Meinl Weston 751

I played Matt's prototype about a year ago, and briefly on the 751 at ITEC. It's more "direct" and a bit brighter sounding than the 551/451. In my opinion, more toward the sound of a Willson 2900, but a bit warmer. A nice-playing horn from my limited experience.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Meinl Weston 751

I had a chance to play one today (not very much though) and have mixed feelings about the horn. Firstly, this was just a prototype, not a production model, so there will be some variances between what I played and the production model. The horn's basic features are large shank floating lead pipe, similar if not identical valve block to the 551, gold valve caps, and finger buttons, adjustable handle (more on that in a bit), a main tuning slide trigger, nickel main tuning slide and a redesigned bow. The horn's construction was typical meinl weston; lightweight with large finger buttons, medium valve stroke, and clicky valve pads. Valve action was very smooth, a welcome change to my Yamaha 642's sometimes finicky valves. I found the new handle design interesting, due to the fact that it is supposed to be adjustable up, down, in and out. I say supposed to because the prototype I played seemed to lack the up and down adjustment.

Right, on to the actual playing. I had very little time to actually play the horn, so I can only give a few comments. The second partial Bb sounded absolutely incredible, very open and very dark. The third partial F however was a mile and a half sharp. Supposedly this is where you're supposed to use the main slide trigger (which did fix the problem, making the F very easy to center) but I prefer simpler operation of an in tune 3rd F. 1 and 2 valve combinations were a little sharp, and that was fixed just by using 3rd valve (which makes my yamaha play flat). Unfortunately, my experience with the horn ended there.

-Sh0ty