Thread: Meister Walter Nirschl MWN 10 Euphonium

1. Meister Walter Nirschl MWN 10 Euphonium

Has anyone tried the MWN 10?

Walter Nirschl hand builds these instruments in germany. I contacted him and he told me anything is possible when ordering a euphonium with him. Since they are hand build customisation is easy. Does anyone know how one of those horns plays? and how much they cost? What can I compare the MWN with? Is it a Besson/Willson/miraphone sound?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mwn_euphonium10.jpg  
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

Meister Walter Nirschl MWN 10 Euphonium

I haven't tried this specific model, but I know that the Nirschl horns are made with hand-formed tubing in some places, such as the bottom bow, where some other manufacturers use hydraulic drawing to form such tubing. With hydraulics you can use heavier tubing, which can give the horn a richer, more powerful tone. Meinl also uses the hand-formed tubing on some models.

So I would expect that this Nirschl will be a much lighter sound than the other horns you mention, or than the Sterling Virtuoso I play. At the recent ITEC in Ohio I had a chance to play a great variety of professional instruments, including the newest Meinl. I found the Meinl to respond nicely but to have much too light a sound.

The very light sound may appeal to some players - it is not unattractive. But for most players I suspect they will become dissatisfied after a while and trade up to a more substantial-sounding model.

Just my 2-cents' worth.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Dave -- was the new Meinl the Tropman signature horn?

John

Originally posted by: JTJ
    Dave -- was the new Meinl the Tropman signature horn?

John
    Yes it was.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Meister Walter Nirschl MWN 10 Euphonium

I actually prefer the light sound that a lot of German horns deliver. I especially love the sound of German tenor horns.(You know, those oval horns with rotary valves.) Though they have a small bore size, I wouldn't consider them baritones. Their tubing is just too conical. Sorry for getting off topic!