Thread: Besson 1065!!

1. Besson 1065!!

Many people have been telling me about the Besson 1605. It looks good and VERY affordable. Now I'm looking to getting either a Yamaha 321 OR the Besson i mentioned before.

I have not played theses before and NEED advice

The link below is of me at a carnagie hall concert as a gala winner recently: the horn i am holding is the one i am currently renting

http://disasterreports.blogspo...ng-nyc-musicians.html

Thank you Fsung and every one else who has posted!

Besson 1065!!

Hi lilmissacf,

Both models you mentioned are fine instruments. The Yamaha has been a standard for a long, long time, and is a good quality instrument. Personally, I don't feel you would go "wrong" with either choice. It really is a win-win situation.

Now, with that said, I did get a chance to test the new 1065, and can honestly say that it is a very solid horn. I would prefer it over the 321 slightly because of the warmth of sound. The problem with some of the Yamaha's is that they tend to sound very "dull" at times, even with a good player/moutpiece/etc. Also, the 1065 accepts a large shank mouthpiece, enabling you to use a little more air and contributing to the extra warmth of sound. There are also more choices of better mouthpieces with the large shank.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any specific questions about the Besson. I'd love to help in any way that I can, and I hope you find the horn that will suit your needs the best! Good luck!
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Besson 1065!!

I use the Yamaha 321S and I strongly reccomend it! This model is one of the more popular "student" models. The price is around 1500 to 2000 but trust me, this is well worth the money! Check at Woodwindbrasswind.com they usually have some pretty good prices on this item.

Regards....

4. Besson 1065!!

I'd say it really comes down to two questions:

1.) Do you prefer the Yamaha or the Besson sound.

2.) Do you have plans to step up to a compensating horn at some point.

#1 is Self sufficient.

In regards to #2, the Besson has the 3+1 setup and the large shank which sets you up for the transition to a compensator perfectly.

Besson 1065!!

Both of these are fine instruments, and either will serve you well.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you hope to become a professional euphoniumist on down the road. Given that goal, I would suggest that, in the long run, the 1065 would be the better choice.

As Brandon noted, the 1065 takes a large shank mpc. The 321, in contrast, takes a small shank mpc. Large shank mpcs generally have more mass than the identical small shank model, so while they generally require more air than their small shank counterparts, they can also take more air without the sound breaking up and are capable of producing a fuller, more solid sound.

Another thing to consider is the valve arrangement. The 1065 uses the 3+1 arrangement that is nearly universal on compensating euphs (the Willson 2975 is the only current 4-valve compensator I can think of that does not use the 3+1, and it uses the 4-front rather than the 4-top arrangement), while the Yamaha 321 uses the 4-top arrangement. Given your goal of becoming a professonal euphoniumist, it might make sense to start learning the 3+1 setup now to save time down the road.

I presume from blog post you linked that you're from NYC or thereabouts. If that's the case, I think it would be worth your time to visit Dillon Music in Woodbridge, NJ and play-test the 1065 and 321. (Call ahead to make sure they have both in stock.)

Besson 1065!!

Great points guys, all of them!

If Dillon music does not have any 1065's in stock, please let me know and I can arrange for one to be sent your way for you to play test. Email me if you need any assistance.
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com