Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CONN 151

1. CONN 151

Howdy to everyone. I just bid on and won a Conn 151 with an 11 inch bell facing up, with 3 frontal facing valves. I know it is not a pro mod but I figured it surely had to be better than the chineese mods on ebay. I did want to save up and get a 4 valver noncompensating jupiter or yamaha, but I just didn't see that happening anytime soon and this thing looked brand new, and the seller claims it had only been used a time or two over the years. From the way it looked, I think I have to beleive him, but who really knows. I understand is likely to be classified as a baritone and not a euph, though with the bell size I'm thinking it should have a nice dark sound to it and not the brighter crisper tromboney sound.

Does any one happen to know the bore size on that model Conn?

I have finally gotten a descent handle on the treble clef Concert transposing for the horn and am so tired of this indian made thing I bought years ago. It actually plays beautifully, and even in tune with my chromatic tuner except for the very low register, but the action of the valves is atrotious, and it is a very hard horn to play. Figure I ought to have lungs like a horse after blowing in that thing for so long now, lol.

thanks for any input.
    neal

CONN 151

Congrats on the purchase! It should be a nice horn.

This model probably has a bore around .560" and is conical for its entire length, so it is a euphonium. I think you will like the sound - Conns were known for sounding good.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. CONN 151

Thank you Mr. Werden. That helps my mind a bit. I can hardly wait to get it. lol. have a great evening.

neal

CONN 151

I haven't experienced the Conn 151, but I did pick up an old Conn 3 valve bell front euph (20I) after college from e-bay a couple years back and I love it (never had a horn to call my own during my playing days =) ).

It's been beat up and not too pretty looking (some might call it a piece of crap...or an "e-bay special". lol.), but it has a very nice tone and decent valves for a horn from 1937. I lose some low range over the Yamaha 321 clone I played in college (a Holton 4 valver), but that's expected when using a three valve horn. But I don't miss the tone of that other horn. My Conn makes my earballs happy, and hopefully yours will do the same for you!

5. CONN 151

thank you pudge. I am glad to hear from you. seems like I made a good buy from the responses. I hope so. I want anytime in the next 3 lifetimes have the funding to buy a pro model of any kind. Either way though. I played a horn very similar to this one while I was in junior high. I beleive it was a Bach, but it was a very nice sounding horn, but I was a very nieve youngen that made that judgement too, lol.

The one I got, I just couldn't beleive how preserved it looks. I pray it looks just like that when I open the box up because it looked like a brand new horn though the seller said it was around 12 years old. He said he only used it a few days during college reunions every year or two. If thats the case, shucks I might still have a break in period for the poor thing. lol. But thanks again. Have a great day.

will gladly let you folks here know how I like it after I get it. My wife on the other hand is dreading the delivery, but also thankful I live most of my life in a truck away from there eye shot. lol. c'ya

6. CONN 151

I love my Conn 14-I. Its about the same with the curved bell. Just make sure you play it with a Bach 6.5 AL or larger. Play a lot and have a lot of fun.

7. . it came in the CONN 151

It came today in the fed ex truck. my wife opened it and said it was huge. lol. she is use to the indian made tiny thing I have, lol, and the shock of a real horn scared her silly. The kids jumped at the bubble rap the guy wrapped it in, lol, and I am still in my truck 2.5 weeks away from them and the horn. Dad gummit. oh well. She said it was beautiful, and all the "buttons" work fine. She said it couldn't be played with in the daylight though because it has such a mirror shine to it, she could see her self and she said it like to scared her again. LOVL. Either way, I hope I enjoy it. Thanks for all the responses. As long as the valves are in good shape, I don't think I went wrong for 500 greenbacks. She said it looks like it just came off the show room floor.

neal

8. . it came in the CONN 151

Sounds like a beauty.

Now the hardest thing of all...musing over playing it for 2 weeks!

Best of luck and start working those chops!

9. . it came in the CONN 151

you couldnt be more right. lol.

10. I got hoke. it came in the CONN 151

I got home for the fourth last week. I took out that conn 151, and it only took a single run up the Bb scale and I grabbed my little indian made horn and threw it on the couch next to my little girls and said merry birthday too ya. Have a toy. LOVL.

I Love this conn. It will sling out the upper register with ease. I do find a strange gap somehow between the middle register and the upper. I don't know if it is that I am simply use to playing that other horn, but in practicing, I have found it to be quite a different thing when quickly alternating between the middle and upper registers. Boy you have to know where the notes are at. I thought I would be just fine with it and not have any trouble switching horns like that, and My god I can't beleive I messed up on the simplest of tunes. I wanted to hide my head but I just laughed it off. My little girls birthday party was on the 5th, and she asked me to play the simple ol happy birthday song. I hit every note until I tried to hit the D above the staff. LOVL. I set my embechure right where D would have been on my other horn, and low and behold just as plain as the nose on my face came bellering out a blaming Bb. I told my wife later she just as well take me out and shoot me. lol.

I've had a bit of time since to practice with it and I couldn't be happier. I am adjusting well to the differences. In fact. I am beleiveing the Indian horn was just plain trash and I had been renduring inaccurate enbechure settings all along if that makes any since. I say that because now that I have had a bit of time to adjust to the conn 151, I hear a much sweeter, so much fuller and beautiful voice comming out of this horn that the other one couldn't dream of.I can tell the pitch is different some also. I took my chromatic tuner and chexked it. It is so close to being right on it makes that other horn sound dang near sick.

Guess you could boil it down to that I am very well pleases with the conn 151. it is a sweet horn from lead to bell.

neal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast