X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • euphdude11
    • Feb 2008

Career in euphonium playing

I know a lot of former military band people frequent the forum, so I thought this would be a good place to ask this question.

I would really like to pursue a career in playing the euphonium, but I'm a little unsure. I love to practice and do so for at least 2-3 hours per day, and really love playing in general. I guess my question is, what is the likelihood of being able to support myself on playing alone, and are there really a lot of professional playing jobs out there? I plan on getting my performance degree after my education degree, and then I'll most likely audition for a military band. Also, I've heard there are more professional bands than military bands in England. Are chances of getting a job better in England? Basically, I would just like to know what my options are and how it would be playing professionally.
  • GregEuphonium
    • Jun 2007

This is quite a loaded answer with no completely specific answer.... I'm just graduating with my bachelors degree and will be starting my masters degree in euph performance this coming year, so I don't have any personal experience with the military bands yet, but I have done a lot of research so I will tell you what I have found. It is very difficult to give you the numbers and percentages regarding the likelihood of making it professionally as a Euphonium player. If you want to realize the level of playing that you have to reach to make it as a professional Euphonium performer think about this..... Imagine how good you have to be as a trumpet player or trombone player or Tuba player in order to make it in a professional orchestra. Now think about the fact that there are far fewer jobs for Euphonium players than any other brass players (the only full time playing jobs in the USA for Euphonium players are military bands), yet there are huge numbers of Euphonium players looking for jobs. So the level that you have to obtain is obviously very very high. Now there are more military jobs out there than just the "premiere" bands. Personally I plan on going into either the Navy or Army band programs after finishing my masters degree (this is depending on whether I immediately go for a DMA), and as there are openings in the premiere bands I will send in my recording to take a shot at those jobs. But luckily, even if I don't get into one of the premiere bands, I will already be in one of the Navy or Army bands, so I will already have job security. Now, obviously I have not lived this plan through yet... it is just a plan for the future. So I will let the real details be explained by the veterans on the forum who have first hand experience in the military bands, *cough* Dave *cough*. As far as Euphonium jobs in England.... I honestly have no idea what the situation is in England. The one thing that I do know for sure is that all of the people who play in the brass bands do not get paid. I saw an interview with David Childs and he mentioned that despite the extreme quality of performers in the brass bands, only the really big name brass bands pay their performers a small amount of money to help cover expenses. Oh, before I forget, if you're looking to make it as a Euphonium performer, you should definitely be very solid doubling on either trombone or tuba (or both). Being able to also play trombone and/or tuba is very beneficial not just as a performer but also as a teacher. If you ever try to get a job teaching at a university/college teaching Euphonium, you will most likely also be teaching either Tuba or Trombone. I'm gonna finish here before I start rambling too much.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by: euphdude11
      I plan on getting my performance degree after my education degree, and then I'll most likely audition for a military band. ... Basically, I would just like to know what my options are and how it would be playing professionally.
      The military bands can be a great career if you have the right personality. The play very well (the top bands are some of the best in the world) and offer a lot of professional experience. But you have to be compatible with the military lifestyle, even through it is slightly different for band members than for the "regular" service. HOWEVER, the positions are highly sought after, so you should have a plan B, i.e. some other career you could do "in the meantime" or instead of the military music program.

I Also, I've heard there are more professional bands than military bands in England. Are chances of getting a job better in England?
      Greg is correct in his previous post: typically the brass band players are not paid a full-time wage for their band work. Often, though, the players hold down a "normal" job at a company associated with the band. Many times these bands may even require dues from the musicians, depending on how strong the company sponsorship is. I have heard that it can be very tough for an American to land a job in the better bands.

No matter which direction you choose for a playing career, you need to be really, really, really good. So get busy! Practice everything you can, perform at every opportunity (with very high personal standards for your performance and behavior), listen to every good player you can, study recordings of the best brass soloists, etc. Even if you don't get a pro gig, all that prep will make you a dynamite amateur player!

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

NOTE TO JP: Moved your question to General Music Discussion - Performance and Practice Tips and Advice

It fits better there.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• euphdude11
          • Feb 2008

Thanks for all the great advice! I had no idea about the situation with professional bands in England, and it's great to get tips from people with so much experience and expertise. Thanks again!

Comment

• euphdude11
            • Feb 2008

Just a quick follow-up to my original question: How are the euphonium soloists in the military bands chosen? Is the first-chair player automatically the soloist? Or is there a specific audition for the soloist position? Also, about how much do the bands tour?

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Just a quick follow-up to my original question: How are the euphonium soloists in the military bands chosen? Is the first-chair player automatically the soloist? Or is there a specific audition for the soloist position? Also, about how much do the bands tour?
              Most of the answers depend on the band, but generally:

- You don't have to be the first chair player to solo (you just have to be good!)

- The only "audition" usually would be a rehearsal of what you want to play. If you do well, you will probable be programmed.

- Coast Guard Band tours about twice a year for 2-3 weeks; Marines go for a couple months once a year, but only principals go on every tour; Air Force I think does a couple a year for 2-3 weeks; Army Band (Pershing's Own) doesn't tour much; Army Field Band tours a LOT; Academy Bands don't tour much at all.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

Working...
              X