Thread: Stars and Stripes Forever and First Suite in E-flat

1. Stars and Stripes Forever and First Suite in E-flat

My band just played Stars and Stripes by Sousa and it was really fun. There arent really too many low brass features (except for a couple measures in the first strain and maybe the first time through the trio), but except for a few measures in the first strain, the euph section keeps the melody for the entire song. Its not quite as fast or technically difficult as some other fun marches, but its fun because you're saying to yourself "I get to play this song and I have the melody the whole time!"

Also, while I'm not sure if this counts because it is just one movement of the First Suite in E-flat by Gustav Holst, the March is another really fun one. The solo euphonium part at the beginning is really fun, and at the end the euphonium has an intense melody at FF, then FFF, then an amazing low brass feature in the last line at FFFF. And you have to admit, FFFF is one of the funnest things on Earth because it gives you the right to blast the part as loud as you can without losing your tone. Everyone loves being loud. You also dont have to worry alot about balance because there arent really any other parts to hear there. Holst's piece also seems to have a depth that other marches dont have that really makes this piece enjoyable to listen to.

2. Stars and Stripes Forever and First Suite in E-flat

Sousa Marches always have a fun euphonium part. My band played The Gallant Seventh March by Sousa, and the euphonium carries the melody though the whole thing except at the trumpet fanfare in the middle, and even then we get a cool interjection. It becomes even more fun when you're the only euphonium and your director gives you permission to play as loud as it takes to fill up the part : )

Stars and Stripes Forever and First Suite in E-flat

I definitely agree with the sousa march, when I played it in my band it was amazing, our section finally got to shine through the woodwind cloud.

The First suite in Eb was also a fun piece not only the 3rd but also the first movement.

Stars and Stripes Forever and First Suite in E-flat

I have never played Stars and Stripes except for a terrible watered-down arrangement in middle school. However, the 1st suite is a true masterpiece of the band repertoire, all three movements. I actually like the second mvt the best--some excellent euph solo spots!