Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking in a new euph: best practices

Breaking in a new euph: best practices

Originally posted by: bassbill You say you use two snakes when you clean your horn. What kind of snakes do you use, and where do you get them? At the music store or the hardware store?
    I use brushes made just for this purpose, because they have specially-designed bristles. The reason I use two myself is that the diameter of tubing varies so much I like to have a smaller (trombone) and larger ("baritone") size. You'll find them both on this page:

Maintenance Supplies

They are BY FAR the best I have found.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Breaking in a new euph: best practices

Thanks. After 40 years with the same horn, I decided to get another one. I had been using various cleaning devices on the previous instrument, but I was never able to get it really clean. I ordered all the items you suggested yesterday, and I know I'll do a better cleaning job with my new horn than with the old one.

3. Breaking in a new euph: best practices

Rememeber most manufacturers recomend wiping donw the valves (pistons) and casings once a week for about 6 months to a year, then reapplying oil. I recomend using Blue Juice then maybe moving to a synthetic oil. I'm currently using Denis Wick oil that I recieved a free sample of and I have to say I am pleased. Just remember if you do move to a synthetic oil to get all of the old stuff out. I the two mix together they turn to slugg and will lock up your valves. That happened the other night. One of the trumpeters in my band forgot his oil and asked to use some from another player turns out he uses sinth, lets just say he went home early.

Jerry Olson

Minneapolis MN

[i]Just remember if you do move to a synthetic oil to get all of the old stuff out. I the two mix together they turn to slugg and will lock up your valves.
    Most synthetic valve oil mfgs recommend that conventional and synthetic lubricants not be mixed (Hetman being a notable exception), some synthetics can be safely mixed with conventional oils.

I've been using Yamaha Synthetic since late Feb/early Mar. Although Yamaha does not recommend mixing Yamaha Synthetic with conventional oil, I started (resumed) squirting Blue Juice down my leadpipe and blowing it through the valves after practicing about a month ago. Haven't noticed any difference in valve speed or responsiveness so far. YMMV.

Hi Dave,

Maybe you've had better luck with the Brass-saver cleaning supplies than I have. The brushes are OK, but the snakes have been a real problem. I've had 3 so far, and everyone has started shedding tufts of bristles in the horn - especially when try to clean out the piping linking the valves. Finally gave up and went back to a conventional snake.

Mike

I've been looking for a good snake to clean the lead pipe on my euph. HW Brass saver was supposed to be working on a design for this, but so far, they haven't come up with one as yet.

Anyone found a good snake for this? I prefer one without any exposed metal parts that could scratch the inside.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

7. Breaking in a new euph: best practices

fsung,

Depending on how long ago you used the Yamaha oil there my not be much left. Also the Yamaha oil is not a true synthetic as it no made from a polimer like teflon. They start with petrolium base and refine it untill all of the molicules are the same size. That is how Wayne Tanabe at Yamaha told me how its done. So you are mixing petrolium with more of the same. How often are you cleaning your horn? I only ask because I see people on this forum talking about putting oil down the lead pipe and thought that you must keep it very clean or there would be some problems washing (gak) into #1 valve.Most of my customers (student with school horns) don't take care with the horn they have so hearing guys that do is refreshing.

Jerry Olson

Minneapolis MN

Originally posted by: RickF

I've been looking for a good snake to clean the lead pipe on my euph. HW Brass saver was supposed to be working on a design for this, but so far, they haven't come up with one as yet.

Anyone found a good snake for this? I prefer one without any exposed metal parts that could scratch the inside.
    Go to your tackle box (or to your bait & tackle store). Use 30 lb mono filament line attached to a round lead sinker and tie the line to a rag of the right size. Pass it through multiple times. This is what I used in HS - works great. I've been using a conventional snake lately, but I think the home-made was better and will make one for my *new horn!*. The lead ball will not scratch the brass of the instrument (it's not hard enough).

- Carroll

Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Thanks Carroll,

I've been using a piece of folded 30 lb mono filament with a tied strip of rag to it, but it doesn't seem to work all that great. I add several knots to the rag in trying to add some bulk to it - but doesn't feel like it's getting the job done. It's better than nothing, but was looking to see if anyone had found anything better.

Thanks.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Yes, the cloth is not quite as vigorous as the bristles on a snake, but I think would do a good job if used frequently.

I wonder if a piece of one of those plastic mesh dish scouring pads might work? You could follow it with the rag. If I have time this week end I'll give it a try.

Other possibilities are a piece of washcloth, towel, or diaper.

- Carroll
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast