Thread: Silver Polish Shelf Life?

Silver Polish Shelf Life?

I have a Yamaha silver polish that has been with me for more than 10 years. Wondering if there's a shelf life for polishes ? There's no date written on the bottle, so I can't make anything out.

Thank you!

Try it and see? Hard to see how something like sliver polish would degrade if it's not open to the air over time. I guess it's possible that it could decompose in some way. That would depend in large part on the chemical composition of the particular polish, but in general would result from oxidation I'd guess. But the real test is just whether it works or not.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    Try it and see? Hard to see how something like sliver polish would degrade if it's not open to the air over time. I guess it's possible that it could decompose in some way. That would depend in large part on the chemical composition of the particular polish, but in general would result from oxidation I'd guess. But the real test is just whether it works or not.
    Thanks for the input! It kind of works, though I have to be a little forceful when polishing, can't remember if that's normal. Haven't polished my instrument for more than 10 years (I'm sorry, euphonium).

That said, the mixture has kind of ... what do you call it, separated itself? The liquid part and the powdery part, the powdery part has the texture of.... uhh... wasabi? Can't think of any other sauce in the West that has that kind of texture.

I think I probably shouldn't risk it.

If it is a liquid polish, then it is natural for the separation to occur. Do the directions say to shake it? That should take care of it, although you may need to shake it a lot at first.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Also, if it's not Hagerty's, I strongly advise you dump it in favor of Hagerty's.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)