• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by IaMichael View Post
    1. When you take the valves out for wipe down/re-oiling, do you also run the cloth through the valve casings?
    Not every time, but once in a while it's a very good idea. Obviously use a lint-free cloth.

Originally posted by IaMichael View Post
    2. When I spoke with Andy at Wessex and mentioned I was using blue juice in my Yamaha, he was pretty adamant that I should not use it in my Wessex. He recommended using Yamaha Light Synthetic. However, I read in one of the forum links that using Synthetic was not recommended when breaking in a horn.
    I don't know what his reason is, but despite my own fondness for Blue Juice I would take Andy's advice for caring for your Wessex.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• IaMichael
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
      Not every time, but once in a while it's a very good idea. Obviously use a lint-free cloth.
      I read that you used a microfiber cloth you found at a autoparts store. I'll check in my local autoparts store(s) to see if I can find the same thing.

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
      I don't know what his reason is, but despite my own fondness for Blue Juice I would take Andy's advice for caring for your Wessex.
      Andy's choice was based on (as I remember his explanation ... any mistakes are mine) was that on the few warranty valve/valve guide issues he's seen, Blue Juice was being used and he has not had any where the Yamaha Synthetic Light was being used. Not that the valve oil was the problem, it was just something in common. I agree with you about the Blue Juice and will continue to use it on my 321, but will use his recommendation on the Wessex.

Thank-you for responding so quickly. I'm really liking the forum!

Thanks!
      Mike
      Meinl-Weston 451S
      Yamaha 321S with 5th valve (1983)
      Buescher U.S.QMC Double-Bell (1939)

Comment

• ghmerrill
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by tubadrmn View Post
        I'm wondering if anyone has looked at the inside of the tubing with a bore scope or a fiberoptic inspection tool. We have one in the shop here and you would be suprised how rough the inside the tuibing really is.

I have three Chinese-made instruments and think that each is a good value and a wonderful instrument in terms of playability. But the one thing I do notice is that the "fit and finish" is not nearly as good as on American/British/German instruments I've had or used. Often this is far from obvious. But if you sight down one of the tubes (e.g., a tuning slide or a trombone handslide) you will see slight patterns of unevenness or waviness. And there are minor fabrication flaws on some inessential parts of my Wessex Eb tuba pistons. And there's a small section of one of the knuckles on the Gb valve of my bass trombone that's a quality control embarrassment. And I had a solder joint break on my Wessex tuba after a few months. And the nickel finish on buttons and levers wears through much more rapidly than it should.

I still don't have any idea what the "longevity" of these instruments, but I think it will be fine for me. I suspect the bass trombone may be a little less good in that area because of some minor things I'm seeing, but that's just a hunch. To be honest, if the trombone tanks in the next year or so, I may well replace it with one of the same. It's that good a horn, fits me well, and I have it set up exactly how I want it -- and I couldn't afford a real King 7B even if I could find one.
        Gary Merrill
        Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
        Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
        Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
        1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
        Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
        1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• jaxstrad
          • Oct 2017

Deleted

[deleted]
          Last edited by jaxstrad; 01-13-2023, 03:58 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

• Kit15
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jaxstrad View Post
            You said your Dolce is arriving in Mid-December. Is the shipping slow is there a new batch?
            At least the lacquer and the gold brass bell versions were on back order as of last week.

Comment

• IaMichael
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by jaxstrad View Post
              You said your Dolce is arriving in Mid-December. Is the shipping slow is there a new batch?
              I ordered a silver/gold and a new batch is arriving mid-December. Andy, at Wessex, let me know this well in advance of me road tripping to Michigan to test play the horn. He had a silver/gold, with a minor cosmetic blemish, for me to test play. It played smooth and was for sale at a good, discounted price, but I decided to wait for the new batch.
              Meinl-Weston 451S

Comment

• IaMichael
                • Sep 2017

Getting excited. FedEx is delivering my Dolce tomorrow (11/29)!
                Meinl-Weston 451S

Comment

• rudibred
                  • Feb 2018

I gave my new horn a bath for the first time yesterday. Removed everything that was easily removable and placed it in a tub with warm water and a few drops of dish soap (except the valves which I left out and cleaned separately). Let everything soak for 30 min. I used a snake to brush all tubing as well as the valve casings and got nervous that little bits of slide grease the snake picked up from the tubes would get in the valve casing and mess things up when I put it all back together (luckily it didn't). There also seemed to be a thin coat of grease on the instrument when taking it out despite rinsing with fresh water. It all came off for the most part with polishing.

Should I use more soap next time to really cut that grease?
                  Wipe off as much slide grease as possible before putting things into the tub?
                  Not use the same side of the snake for tubes as I do valve casings?
                  Also unsure if I should push the snake around corners of tubing as I was getting a lot of resistance and could feel the rounded metal tip on the snake hitting the inside of the instrument.

Played for an hour after reassembling and felt great but just want to make sure I'm using best practices for next time.

Thanks,
                  Rudi

Comment

• RickF
                    • Jan 2006

I like to use about 1/4 cup of Dawn dish-washing liquid in a tub of warm water (not too hot). Letting it soak for about 30 minutes sounds about right.

I try not to use any snakes with exposed metal for cleaning the tubes. I like using the HW Brass Saver for baritone found here:

Brass Saver for Baritone:

This set has one snake for tubing and a separate swab for valve casings. I just got a new set last week and they're still pretty good, but not as good as earlier versions. Seems like there's less 'fuzzy material' used in making the casing swab.

The only time I use a snake with any metal is to clean the smaller diameter lead pipe. The metal is mostly covered with plastic except for the very end of the brush. There's where I'm real careful to watch how far I insert that snake by looking down the 1st valve casing with a flash light... making sure the tip doesn't come in contact with the casing.
                    Last edited by RickF; 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM.
                    Rick Floyd
                    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• rudibred
                      • Feb 2018

Thanks for the tips Rick! I'll have to check out the Brass Saver.

Also a post I found after writing my original comment was: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...ning-Your-Horn
                      I'll definitely have to try that technique next time!

Rudi

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

To be more correct I think I use 1/4 cup of Dawn soap (edited above).
                        Rick Floyd
                        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                        Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
                        X