Thread: Conn Constellation 24-I Euphonium on eBay

Conn Constellation 24-I Euphonium on eBay

I saw this today on eBay. The Conn Constellation is a fine instrument, probably the best of the older curved-bell American horns. It has a medium-size shank, 4 front valves, and a tuning trigger on the main tuning slide. Tone was very nice as I recall. Henry Charles Smith played one of these and sounded great on it. I have tried them before and liked them.

The horn won't sound like a modern compensating horn and has a smaller sound than most of today's top instruments. But it's a nice instrument with a pretty sound.

I don't know anything about the seller or this particular serial number instrument, so be careful (as always on eBay).

Conn Constellation Euphonium
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Conn Constellation 24-I Euphonium on eBay

Dave,

That is an excellent Buy-it-now price for a 24I that appears to be in top condition. I purchased mine a year and a half ago for around $900. A refinished straight bell (25I) horn done in polished silver plate (never an original finish for a Conn of that vintage) sold for $2,000 recently on eBay.

Your comments about the Connstellations are spot on. I still enjoy playing mine and can get a really nice sound on it. I find it does not respond that well to the Wick 4AY, but plays better with a Wick 4BS (shallower cup). The intonation with a deep cup Wick like the 4AY starts to get poor and the Connstellation actually plays better with a bit more back-pressure.

While different sounding from the modern compensating horns, they make a very sweet sound and in the right hands do not sound at all "trombone-ish".

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band