X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rocke
    • Mar 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

Has anyone had a chance to try the W. Nirschl euphoniums at all? From what i hear they are excelent euphoniums for a wonderful price. From what i have read so far they should be a very good horn, and are made very well. Just curious of what people think of the horn. I'm hoping to have chance to play one next week over at Illinios State University. If i have a chance to play it next week i will let you guys (and gals) know what i think.

heres a link were you can check at a bit more on the history and the horn:

http://www.gemstonemusical.com...roducts/euphonium.html
  • fsung
    • Feb 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

Dillon Music had a silver I-800 at USABTEC. It was, IMO, quite forgettable: so much so that I neglected to include it in my review of the horns I tried there. (I actually preferred the Dillon stencil horn to the Nirschl.)

From my notes: EXTREMELY stuffy in compensating range; high back pressure and difficult to center in upper register; poor flexibility; very bright sound; did not "speak" for me.

Comment

• skyeuph
      • Mar 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

I own a Nirschl euphonium and really like it. It is my back up horn but I end up playing it often because it is fun and easy to play. It is a great horn, especially for the price. I actually own the non-compensating model and would have never believed that I would play, much less perform, on a non-compensating horn....but I do! I can really crank on the horn and project across a large hall. The horn makes me feel confident when I play. It also has reasonable pitch and a nice sound (darker than student Yamaha horns).

I found that the compensating Nirschl played about the same as the non-compensating, but the ergonomics on it are a bit strange and disorienting. Fourth valve was in a weird place as were the primary valves.

Just so I have credibility in what I'm saying, I also own a Willson full-compensating euphonium as well as the new York Eminence.

In all, if you want a great horn for a student or a good horn for the price, I think the Nirschl is a winner.

Comment

• Rocke
        • Mar 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

skyeuph,

thanks for the response, its good to know. do you think that this horn would be good for someone who is serious about playing, needs a horn for college in the fall, but also needs it at a good price?(AKA me!) Also, you said ergonamics are a bit strange on the compensating model. Is it really noticable, or is it just a prefrence thing. I currently play on Yamaha 321s that is school rented, and i've never played a compensating horn before, so i dont think i would notice, but still would like a good horn.

thanks
        beth rocke

Comment

• Rocke
          • Mar 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

I just tried out the horn on Thursday and i am happy to say that it is a wonderful horn. It is really well built and is beautiful. The tone that is produced it wonderful. A few minor pitch things, but that is mostly because i wasn't use to the mouthpiece i was using, and there is hardly a horn you will ever find that is perfectly in tune, its just something to work out in practice and when you get to know the horn more. All in all i am absolutely in love with this horn and will be getting one for myself soon and cant wait!

Comment

• FoCoEupher
            • Apr 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

I'm glad the W. Nirschl euph works for you! I've been looking for my own euphonium for months now, and I can't find the one for me. I've been testing out a W. Nirschl I-800 for the last week, but I find it feels really awkward when I'm playing it. I don't know if it's the position of the front main slide, or the forth valve, but it makes it hard to play. I also found the pitch to be a bit out of controll.

Comment

• IndyGrabowski
              • Jan 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

I played the I-800 in January at the Indiana Music Educators association conference. It is a beautiful, rich-sounding horn. It was one of the first three produced at their Indian plant. It had some construction flaws that the sales person indicated were related to the plant changing the design slightly to use techniques they had used to product horns for a different company. [Specidcally, the 2nd valve slide was too long on one side (had been manually repaired at the Nirschl office in Indiana), the water key on the third valve slide emptied directly onto the bow of the horn, and the compensating loop on valve #1 was very difficult to remove due to a narrow clearance with another part of the horn.]

I came close to buying one of these new horns due to the price. I was able to find a one-year old mint condition YEP-642s for about $800 more and went with that instead. If I had not, I would have arranged to take the I-800 on a 3-week trial basis first before buying. Finally, the sales perosn was motivated to sell the first units and was giving me a bargain price. I don't know if that would still be the same.

Tom Eckrich
              Indianapolis

Comment

• Rocke
                • Mar 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

I was just on Tubanews.com and on one of the forms somebody was trying to say that W. Nirschl Euphoniums (at least the new ones) are not really Nirschl euphoniums. He said a few other things too, that im not to sure about. Like how Gemstone isnt licensed to sell Nirschl's horns, and a lot more. Just wondering what anybodys thoughts are on this. THanks!

Link to site:
                http://www.tubanews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357

Comment

• fsung
                  • Feb 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

With all due respect to JPNirschl, until recently (earlier this year) Gemstone Music/Gemeinhardt WAS an authorized distributor for high end (German-built) Nirschl horns; and Gemstone/Gemeinhardt continue to be an authorized distributor of the Indian-built Nirschl line of horns. See the post by Matt Walters of Dillon Music on Tubenet for details.

Comment

• FoCoEupher
                    • Apr 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

Funny, that's my thread you linked to.

Anyways, actual Nirschl euphoniums are all handmade by Meister Nirschl himself in Germany. You have to contact him or his apprentice, and then make a custom order. The W. Nirschl line by Gemstone is a manufactured line of euphs that come from a factory that Meister Nirschl established.

Comment

• Rocke
                      • Mar 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

Okay, that's what i figured it was, i just wanted to make sure.
                      Thanks!

Comment

• IndyGrabowski
                        • Jan 2008

w. Nirschl euphoniums

The history behind this Indian "Nirschl" horn is basically that it ws desined by WN and the W. Nirschl brand licensed to GMI. This relates to the I series horns only, to my knowledge. The original Nirschl horns require a custom order. Look also at the last paragraph in the introduction of this post in wikipedia: W. Nirschl.

Tom Eckrich

Comment

• JBrassLee
                          • Jan 2011

w. Nirschl euphoniums

My experienece with the Nirschl I-800 was not good. I was happy with the horn until I took it to rehearsal. The A on staff (treble clef) and the C# same were both flat and could not be bent into range. I was mortified.

One of the valve caps spun around and would no longer tighten. The valves became slow and my wrist started hurting trying to use them.

Comment

• Skipatronic
                            • Mar 2007

I use a 1969 Besson Imperial as my main horn but since it's in the shop for repairs, I borrowed one of these horns from my brother's college. The horn is the non-compensating model and it is Laquer plating. Here's what I think of it.

Things I liked-
                            -Horn had really projection and it was very responsive
                            -The horn wasn't very hard to get used to.
                            - All the registers for me sounded really nice
                            - I liked the large bell on it
                            - The horn didn't feel like it was going to fall apart

Things I didn't like-
                            -The valve caps were too big (maybe because I'm too used to the small caps on the Besson)
                            -The plastic valve guides (They last for about 3 minutes)
                            -Feels short to me
                            -The 4th Valve hand position felt weird
                            -Tuning was atrocious in the middle range

Overall, it isn't a bad horn. If I give it some time, I'm sure I can fix the tuning issues. I think it's a pretty good horn for a player on a budget.

Comment

• tampaworth
                              • Nov 2010

I've heard that the w. Nirschl euphoniums are made in India. I read somewhere that there is a distinction between Nirschl and w. Nirschl. I would think the ones made in Brazil may be better quality. A tuba player I know has a Weril made in Brazil and is very happy with how it plays for community band application. For some amusement look on EBay -- all the horns along with their descriptions from India on EBay look pretty sketchy (to borrow a word from my kids )!
                              Last edited by tampaworth; 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM.
                              Bob Tampa FL USA
                              Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
                              Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

Working...
                              X