Thread: Euphonium Stand?

Euphonium Stand?

Hi all,

Last night when I was practicing I had a revelation! I've always known I've had bad posture while sitting down and playing but it was only last night, after 15 years of playing the Euphonium, that I realized what a profound impact this can have on ones sound!

Basically I got my arban book, a folder with lots of music in it and placed it on my lap. This then allowed me to rest the bottom of the horn on the stack and placed the mouthpiece exactly even with my mouth, allowing me to sit against the back of the chair in an upright position. Normally I am in a more crooked position with my leg raised against the chair and the horn resting on the leg. This is not ideal however as I found out last night.

Well it's not normally customary to have a "high-chair" of books, if you will, so that I can maintain proper posture! How do you guys hold your horn and how is your posture? I feel that if I were to actually "hold" this horn up the pressure against the 4th valve tubing would warp it over time.

Which brings me to the topic question... do you guys use stands that rest against the chair to hold up your horn? I've seen tuba players do this (and my friend actually made his own) but was curious to know what you guys do!
    Yamaha Neo w/Trigger, Lacquer
    K&G 3.5D

Euphonium Stand?

Euphonium Stand?

Thanks for the quick reply.

2-3 weeks is time lost I'm afraid.

I think wrapping the bottom in some cloth and cutting pvc might have to be appropriate enough.
    Yamaha Neo w/Trigger, Lacquer
    K&G 3.5D

Euphonium Stand?

There's also this product:

Ergobrass

Old towels wrapped in tape or a cloth bag also work.

Euphonium Stand?

Hi Jake,

You're right, if our posture is more erect, we breathe better, and play and sound better.

I tried using a small pillow... and I've tried using a piece of rigid foam cut from a swimming noodle (see below). Then I covered this foam wedge in black GAF tape. The pillow or foam wedge would sometimes fall off my lap and on to the floor. Then I just decided to hold up my horn. I've played this way now for many years... but all of a sudden two months ago, I started suffering from some back pain when I hold the horn up. I think I have some arthritis in my spine.

I took that piece of rigid foam (covered in black GAF tape), and made a strap of Velcro so I can attach it to my bottom bow. It's been working pretty well too. It's just a bit in the way of emptying water from the horn -- or pulling slides -- but I can slide it frontwards or backward some to allow access to slide or empty water. I'll add some pictures and update this post...

Here's a picture of the 'swimming noodle' I mentioned:

This raises my horn up off my thigh about 2 inches.
    Last edited by RickF; 07-06-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Euphonium Stand?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by: JakeGuilbo
    I feel that if I were to actually "hold" this horn up the pressure against the 4th valve tubing would warp it over time./q]

I am extremely skeptical that warping the tubing is going to be a problem unless you're REALLY squeezing the horn hard. A retired (from work, not playing) gent in the wind band here has a Boosey Imperial he bought in 1972. He actually holds his euph away from his body while playing (there's a good 3" between the bottom bow and his gut), and there's no discernable warping in any of the tubing.

I'm trying to visualize how you're holding your horn to put pressure on the fourth valve tubing. On my Besson New Standard, the horn is supported by the left hand which wraps around the outer bow with the thumb between the third valve slide casings, which are held in place by three braces, and on my non-comp King 2268, the left hand wraps around the outer bow, so unless you're talking about resting the horn on something, as opposed to actually holding it, I don't see how the fourth valve tubing even comes into the picture.

That said, a euph weighs - what, 10-12 lbs? Unless one has back or grip problems or is relatively young, I dont see why one wouldn't simply hold it up.

Euphonium Stand?

Nice job, Rick!

Back when I played full time I used the Stewart Stand. However, on a Symphonia gig I forgot to pack it and my left arm was suffering. So I got a good heavy bath towel, folded it across so it was only about 10" wide (leaving it full length, just changing the width), then rolled it up neatly and tightly. Having no materials with me I used dental floss to tie the roll together. It elevated the horn to a nice height and got me through nicely. I'm still using it now and then about 14 years later (had to replace the dental floss after about 10 years - it's tough stuff!).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Euphonium Stand?

I use a K&M tuba playing stand to hold my euph up.

Euphonium Stand?

All great ideas in the right physical limiting or medical circumstances. I've tried pillows, etc. but realized playing is a PHYSICAL activity, so what worked best for me was building the upper body muscles through aerobic activity and weights allowing me to comfortably hold the instrument in the proper position for extended periods of time. Need patience as this does not happen quickly - another benefit was improved breathing!