Thread: Willson vs. Hirsbrunner shootout-opinions?

1. Willson vs. Hirsbrunner shootout-opinions?

Hello everyone-My son and I are trying out a Willson 2950 and a Hirsbrunner to see which he should buy. He is a high school junior planning on majoring in music, perhap a military band career as well. He currently plays on his schools' King 4 valve non-comp. horn. He has also tried my 35 yr. old Besson, but wants someting better (!).
    We are using a 51D mouthpiece, his usual one. The Willson is big, with a big sound, but the high range is a liitle tough compared to the Hirsbrunner, which seems freer up high, but somewhat stuffy in the midrange. Any opinions out there? I feel that he will grow into the Willson, and the high range will improve.
    Thanks for any input.
    Rick

2. Willson vs. Hirsbrunner shootout-opinions?

Willson 2950's generally have not been as popular as the 2900. The new 2900 with large shank receiver seems like a good choice. I have played both Hirsbrunner and Willson and prefer Hirsbrunner of the two.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Willson vs. Hirsbrunner shootout-opinions?

Originally posted by: daruby
    I have played both Hirsbrunner and Willson and prefer Hirsbrunner of the two.
    Doug
    Ditto what Doug said. Of the two, I prefer the Hirsbrunner because its sound is a little more flexible.

As I have said elsewhere, my first choice is the Sterling Virtouso. I just had a chance at the Army Band Conference to try all the top horns, and while I found much improvement in some of the competing brands, the Sterling still had the best sound for my taste, plus it has among the best intonation and response. Its sound is British in nature (not surprising - it's the only major brand left that is made in England). If you like the Willson-type sound in general, the Hirsbrunner is close to that type, as is the Yamaha 642.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Another option on the Swiss/German side of the sound spectrum is the B&S Perantucci PT-37 = B&S 3175.

I tried one at the Army Band conference and found the PT-37 to be more open and free blowing across all registers than the Hirsbrunner Exclusive, Willson 2950, and large and euro shank Willson 2900s. It has a main tuning slide trigger and a left-hand hand brace, which I found very helpful for supporting the horn. IIRC, it's less expenseive than the Willsons and Hirsbrunner (~$6200, vs. $6800 for the Willsons and $7900 for the Hirsbrunner).

A friend bought a new Hirsbrunner a couple of years ago, the large bell model, and I have played it extensively. They are great horns, with an extraordinary dynamic range, are more open than any other horn I have ever played, and have the best low range I've ever played, almost, but not quite, like playing an F tuba. However, though solid, I found the horn a little colorless in the range above the 4th partial B flat. That, plus the price, was why I decided not to buy one. I agree with Dave, with regards to type, the Hirsbrunner and the Yamaha 642 are similar.

John

6. Willson vs. Hirsbrunner shootout-opinions?

Originally posted by: fsung

Another option on the Swiss/German side of the sound spectrum is the B&S Perantucci PT-37 = B&S 3175.

I tried one at the Army Band conference and found the PT-37 to be more open and free blowing across all registers than the Hirsbrunner Exclusive, Willson 2950, and large and euro shank Willson 2900s. It has a main tuning slide trigger and a left-hand hand brace, which I found very helpful for supporting the horn. IIRC, it's less expenseive than the Willsons and Hirsbrunner (~$6200, vs. $6800 for the Willsons and $7900 for the Hirsbrunner).
    I agree that perantucci would be worth trying if you could try one, tho it also has a nice price tag on it