Clear All
  • jbrown91
    • Nov 2006

Besson Serial #'s

Anyone know what year an 820,xxx is? Thanks
  • mclaugh
    • Sep 2007

Besson Serial #'s

Here's a used Besson BE765, serial # 852299 for sale that was bought new in 1997.

Assuming that (a) this horn didn't sit around unsold for very long, and( b) Buffet-Crampon didn't recalibrate the serial # list when they bought and relaunched Besson, extrapolating from various Besson serial number lists, a number in the 820s likely dates to the somewhere between 1993 and 1995.

Comment

• jbrown91
      • Nov 2006

Besson Serial #'s

Ooooh, tat is a killer. I might not want to buy that horn then. I'm thinking mid-90's is the bad years? Thanks

Comment

• mclaugh
        • Sep 2007

Besson Serial #'s

My understanding is that horns from the mid-90s up to 2006 (bankruptcy) aren't particularly well liked.

It's conventional wisdom that quality control went in the dumpster under TMG's stewardship (such as it was), so there is a distinct possibility of quality control issues with mid-90s horns. (I believe The Music Group assumed ownership of Besson (B&H) in the early '90s.)

(See here for an interesting take on what went wrong under TMG and why.)

OTOH, it's also conventional wisdom that Besson did turn out some very good horns during that period, and that if you did get one of them, it was a keeper; hence, the increased emphasis on the rule of thumb to try 10 and keep the best one.

[edited to add link to critique of TMG]

Comment

• jbrown91
          • Nov 2006

Besson Serial #'s

Aaaaah I see. I kind of figured. I knew they had some problems, but couldn't recall when. I'm thinking about a Willson 2900 and am wondering if there are any bad years for them.

Comment

• fearlessmartin
            • Feb 2008

Besson Serial #'s

Just got my hands on a Besson Soverign and can't seem to find out how old it is. Anyone have a way to get the manufactured date for this horn?
            serial number 968GS-822533

Comment

• jbrown91
              • Nov 2006

Besson Serial #'s

Probably a 93 or 94. That is my guess. The dumbies over at Buffet only have records up into the mid 80's. I don't think Besson kept track of serial #'s well.

Comment

• mclaugh
                • Sep 2007

Besson Serial #'s

A few months after the 820,xxx horn above, so 1993-1995.

Comment

• mclaugh
                  • Sep 2007

Besson Serial #'s

Received the following from Steve Mead in response to a query about Buffet vs. pre-Buffet Besson serial numbers:

I am happy to answer your question regarding the new Besson euphonium serial numbers.

The very first one of the new production, (which of course I would highly recommend) was: 06300012 produced in November 2006.

The very latest one I tested last week has the number 07300906.

The serial numbers are to be found on the mouthpiece receiver and not on the bell.

The old numbering system was quite different so unless it falls within the above range it is an old model!
                  Probably good to know if you're considering at a used horn!

Comment

• jbrown91
                    • Nov 2006

Besson Serial #'s

I'm guessing that the 06, 07, etc are the years. Wow, took all this time(100 years) to be creative like that.

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Besson Serial #'s

Uh...actually, the 06 may not be the year of manufacture exactly. My 2051-2 Prestige was completed on January 21, 2007 and tested by Steven Mead about January 25, yet the serial number is 06300175. So maybe the new Buffett/Besson process dates the serial numbers by when they allocate (or start building) the horn rather than when it is completed. That is not too uncommon in the manufacturing world.

Doug
                      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• jbrown91
                        • Nov 2006

Besson Serial #'s

Yah, I just meant that the 06 or 07, etc meant the year it was "manufactured in."

Comment

• Jameseuph967
                          • Feb 2008

Besson Serial #'s

Ooooh, tat is a killer. I might not want to buy that horn then. I'm thinking mid-90's is the bad years? Thanks
                          My 967 was built in 1997 and its an wonderful horn. Excellent build quality, good intonation, and it blows well from top to bottom.

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

Besson Serial #'s

Originally posted by: Jameseuph967

My 967 was built in 1997 and its an wonderful horn. Excellent build quality, good intonation, and it blows well from top to bottom.
                            That brings in a good perspective. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a year where Besson built only bad horns (and there has never been a year where the built nothing but great ones, either). If you have the chance to really try out the horn then do so. It's the only way to know for sure.
                            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                            YouTube: dwerden
                            Facebook: davewerden
                            Twitter: davewerden
                            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• cheef
                              • Sep 2008

Besson Serial #'s

Hi i've just joined the forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with (what I think is) a 662 and 967 that I have I assume these are the serials, the first three digits?

Comment

Working...
                              X