Thread: Buying a Yamaha YEP-201 vs renting an Eastman EEP-321

1. Buying a Yamaha YEP-201 vs renting an Eastman EEP-321

Hi,

I have a friend willing to sell a Yamaha YEP-201 for around $600. It appears to be in excellent shape.

I'm tending towards the purchase. Any cautions or "negatives" associated with the Yamaha?

My son is currently renting an Andreas EastmanEEP-321 Euphonium. It appears to be tooled exactly like a Yamaha YEP-201 - although perhaps a lighter guage of brass. Not sure about that. His teacher is very satisfied with the quality of the horn.

I know the 201 is an entry level horn but after 10 months of rentals I'll be in the black. It should hold its current value when upgrade time comes.

Any final words of encouragement or discouragement?

Cheers,

Ian

Buying a Yamaha YEP-201 vs renting an Eastman EEP-321

Hi Ian,

As you're tending toward, I would purchase the used 201 rather than continue paying rent. Also... once your son outgrows the "3 banger", you can probably sell the 201 for almost the same price. A friend of mine sold his old 201 (~15 to 20 yrs old) for $500.

As an aside, I was surprised to see the the Eastman 321 was actually a 3 valve horn. Usually when they pick a model number, they copy the the features too. The Yamaha 321 is a 4 valve (in-line) horn.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Buying a Yamaha YEP-201 vs renting an Eastman EEP-321

yeah, the Eastman models don't make much sense. Their lack of website also doesn't (they don't have most of their line up on it).