Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Besson Intonation Question

Besson Intonation Question

This may be a question best answered by Brandon Jones, because he has played both as a Besson artist.

Given two new German Bessons, a Sovereign 967 and a Prestige 2052, which has the best natural intonation in the 6th partial range?

By natural intonation I mean pull slides as needed to tune the instrument beforehand, but do not use the Prestige's trigger to pull the notes down.

John

2. Besson Intonation Question

John,

I am not Brandon, but I have to say that I would expect the two to be equivalent in intonation since they are virtually the same horn except trigger and trim. There is some small differences due to different weight valve caps and slightly different lower bracing (the Prestige has heavier bottom braces to support the belly pan and trigger).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Although I will defer to Brandon for a final pronouncement, my experiences mirror Doug's. I took a 967 out on trial, returned it, and owned a 2052 for nearly a year. I didn't notice much difference at all in terms of intonation. I don't have either horn with me now to compare, but perhaps the 967 was ever so slightly superior, but I would wager the variability from horn to horn is likely a result of that more than anything else.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

Thanks for your responses. I suspect that you are right, that the two instruments are almost identical in their natural intonation.

Later edit: behind my question was the idea that perhaps I could play a 2052 as I play a non-triggered instrument. I have a small disability with my left hand which makes using a trigger a more difficult task than for most people, but I have no problem at all using just the 4th valve. And without a trigger I generally have not had any problems matching intonation with others.

John

I'd say that the prestiges are even easier to bend into tune w/o a trigger than the soverigns are -- something about them makes them slot and center quite a bit differently.

--
    Barry

6. Besson Intonation Question

I've had a 967 Sovreign for about a week and it definitely needs a tuning trigger. Great sound, great response, but you have to use a few alternative fingerings above the bc staff. No biggie, just something to be aware of.

They sound beautiful.

Hey guys, sorry I'm just now catching this. Christmas time...food...comas...etc...something I'm sure NO ONE here knows anything about, right??? HA.

OK, so intonation on both the Sovereign's and Prestige's up around Eb, E, F, correct? My experiences were on par with what you guys are saying, but slightly different at the same time. Let me explain. On my Sovereign 967, I felt like it was SO easy to lip around ANY pitch and stop a tuner dead center. Because of this, it was slightly more difficult to "slot" the pitches for me. The sound, however, I feel is the most beautiful sound that can be produced on ANY euphonium on the market right now. It's absolutely gorgeous, and very attractive as a soloist OR bandsman. Now, with that said, I prefer the Prestige, and here's why. Without the trigger use, the pitches above the staff of Eb, E, and F concert are lip-able to be in tune, although it does require a bit more steady air combined with flexible/strong lips. The Prestige slots much easier for me, but you can still lip very easily as well, just not as easy as on the Sovereign. It all depends on what you're looking for. With the demands of the newer age euphonium solo lit, for me it is more important to have an instrument that almost reads my mind on slotting. With the Prestige, I've found that if I can hear it, I can play it. I'm a very big advocate of mouthpiece slotting as well, and combined with the Prestige's tighter slots, this works perfect for me. Now, I'm not saying that the Sovereign is "difficult" in any way. We're talking VERY minor differences. The Sovereign is a bit more of a "free blowing" instrument that is just so easy to play. The Prestige was built with the soloist in mind. I can carry my sound MUCH farther with less effort on the Prestige than I can the Sovereign. Doesn't mean the Sovereign is a "less superior" instrument, just all depends on what you're primarily going to use it for.

Hope that made sense... it does in my head (which doesn't mean that it will make sense to ANYONE, btw...haha) Hope everyone is having a Happy Holiday Season!!!
    Brandon Jones
    Principal Euphonium - The United States Air Force Band, Washington, D.C.
    bmjones82@gmail.com

Thanks, Brandon, makes sense to me.

John

Spent an hour playing a brand new Sovereign 968 today, the smaller belled horn, and yes, the 6th partial notes are just as bendable as Brandon says they were for him on a 967 to "stop a tuner dead center" -- and the sound was luscious. Want to take the horn into a large space and see just how nice it sounds when the sound has room to bloom.

Used an Alliance 2 on the 968.

Is the leadpipe on or off the bell on the 968 you tried?

My old 968 had the leadpipe OFF the bell IIRC.

As we see elsewhere, location of the leadpipe evidently has some influence over the slotting.

Jim W.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast