Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Besson Serial #'s

Besson Serial #'s

Hello,

Came across an older silver Besson euphonium today. It plays but could use a little work. Not sure if its worth it. It seems small but is a Bb horn (it looks like it should be about Eb though). Its serial # is 36XXX which seems to not be on the above chart (and I am sure its not pre 1890!).

Anyway, its a "Bechstein" and under the Bessson boilerplate info it has C. Fischer and their address.

Stamped into one valve is the serial number and it says Besson Brevetee.

I have a Besson cornet from the '70's that I like a lot but don't know much about bari/euphoniums.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Besson Serial #'s

It's possible (but unlikely--see below) that Fischer re-numbered their instruments after receiving them, but in the absence of documentation showing that to be the case, an early 1890s date appears to be correct.

In the B&H archive, which are housed at the Horniman Museum in London, serial numbers in the 36xxx range appear in Workshop Order Book 'Instruments brass 3' (E82.84) A227/047," which dates from Jan 1, 1888-Dec 31, 1892. Additionally, the final brass instrument serial number in Band Instrument Stock Book for 1882-1885 is 32097, while the first serial number in the BISB for 3 Aug 1895-20 Dec 1899 is 47298.

The Gilpin Society's Journal of surviving 19th-century F. Besson and Besson & Co London-stamped brass instruments lists an Eb cornet, s/n 32813 (c. 1884), as "The lowest-numbered surviving valved instrument stamped 'C. FISCHER,' " so an 1890s date would not be inconsistent with the C. Fischer engraving.

Since you seem to be sure that the instrument is not pre-1890, is it possible that the serial number is (X)36xxx rather than simply 36xxx, where (X) = 1 or 2? 136xxx would be in the 1928-1931 range, and 236xxx would be Feb 1956-Jan 1957 range (which might be later the terminus ad quem of C. Fischer's agency as importer: I have a 1958 Besson catalog that lists Bruno and Son as the importer, and I'm fairly certain that Selmer USA was that B&H importer during the '50s).

Besson Serial #'s

Heya,

Thanks much for your time. I appreciate it. I shouldn't have said "sure" as I am not so expert. It just seems to be in remarkably good shape to be that old but the serial # is definitely 36XXX.

Gave it a good bath today and some valve oil and it plays really well.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers!

Besson Serial #'s

Originally posted by: frknl
    It just seems to be in remarkably good shape to be that old but the serial # is definitely 36XXX.
    Of course, there's always the possibility that a previous owner had it overhauled and restored somewhere along the line. There are repair techs doing some amazing work out there. Check out the Dan Oberloh's work on the 19th century Distin Superior and Lyon & Healy cornets toward the bottom of the page.

Besson Serial #'s

Originally posted by: fsung
    Originally posted by: frknl It just seems to be in remarkably good shape to be that old but the serial # is definitely 36XXX.
    Of course, there's always the possibility that a previous owner had it overhauled and restored somewhere along the line. There are repair techs doing some amazing work out there. Check out the Dan Oberloh's work on the 19th century Distin Superior and Lyon & Healy cornets toward the bottom of the page.

This one looks simply amazing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123