Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Besson Serial #'s

1. Besson Serial #'s

Uh...actually, the 06 may not be the year of manufacture exactly. My 2051-2 Prestige was completed on January 21, 2007 and tested by Steven Mead about January 25, yet the serial number is 06300175. So maybe the new Buffett/Besson process dates the serial numbers by when they allocate (or start building) the horn rather than when it is completed. That is not too uncommon in the manufacturing world.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Besson Serial #'s

Yah, I just meant that the 06 or 07, etc meant the year it was "manufactured in."

3. Besson Serial #'s

Ooooh, tat is a killer. I might not want to buy that horn then. I'm thinking mid-90's is the bad years? Thanks
    My 967 was built in 1997 and its an wonderful horn. Excellent build quality, good intonation, and it blows well from top to bottom.

Besson Serial #'s

Originally posted by: Jameseuph967

My 967 was built in 1997 and its an wonderful horn. Excellent build quality, good intonation, and it blows well from top to bottom.
    That brings in a good perspective. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a year where Besson built only bad horns (and there has never been a year where the built nothing but great ones, either). If you have the chance to really try out the horn then do so. It's the only way to know for sure.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Besson Serial #'s

Hi i've just joined the forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with (what I think is) a 662 and 967 that I have I assume these are the serials, the first three digits?

6. Besson Serial #'s

Hi cheef,

Here's how my late 1980's model 967 is stamped: 967 - 764xxx. So the first three digits are in fact the model number and then for the years in question, a six or seven digit number, usually six numbers, is the serial number.

Hope that is of some help.

Tom Friedman
    Tallahassee Winds

7. Besson Serial #'s

Hi I have a trumpet with the serial number 609-804286 is there anything that you guys can tell me about it?

8. Besson Serial #'s

Hello Dave

I have a Besson Brevete and am trying to find out a little about it. It has a number on the removable bell of 6082, and a serial number on the main horn 206082 with numbers on the valves 1st 109, 2nd 110, and 3rd 111. Cound you maybe give me some perspective as to the possible age of it. It also has on the bell, "Made in England".

Als, is the size the same when it says European mouthpiece and British mouthpiece (Bore).

Thanks you for your time, Bill

9. Also Dave,Besson Serial #'s

Also Dave,

My horn also has the extra "U" shaped tubing on the back of valves 1 and 2 or 109 and 110. Thanks

Several years ago, my wife gave me a present which you may be interested in learning about. It is a Belgium made 90 degree valved trombone which I play occassionally. It was made to be used in European Opera Houses because of the close quarters in the band pit.

Besson Serial #'s

Bill,

I'm not sure if Boosey & Co. numbers apply, but if they do the attached chart would suggest that a horn with the serial number you list would have been made around 1955.

(Hopefully the chart attached.)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm whether or not this chart applies.

Dale

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BooseyCo-chart1.GIF  
    =======================
    Dale Long
    South Burlington VT
    Willson 2900S/Denis Wick SM3M
    B.MusEd, SUNY Potsdam, 1979
    M.M., Northwestern University, 1980
    USAF Band of the West, 1981-1985
    =======================

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast