Thread: Stork Custom 5

1. Stork Custom 5

Stork Custom 5--does anybody know anything about this mouthpiece? My YEP 642 has one. I immediately noticed that I have a much better high register with this horn, and I'm wondering if it's because of this MP.

Thanks!
    Tom

Stork Custom 5

The Stork website lists the diameter of the Custom 5 as 25.2mm rim, so it's smaller than a Bach 6 1/2AL (25.4). Probably about the same size as a Yamaha 48. IIRC, it's a touch shallower than a 6 1/2AL, too, so that would account for the easier high register.

3. Stork Custom 5

Stork makes wonderful mouthpieces.. I bought a Stork T1 a few years back, and it was a joy to play. The sound from that mouthpiece resonated beautifully, and the high range was easy. Unfortunately, that was the largest small shank trombone/euphonium mouthpiece that they make, and the sound was just way too bright for me. Oh well..... but they still make fantastic mouthpieces.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

4. Stork Custom 5

Mouthpieces are a serious gap in my knowledge. I've always just played on the stock mp with whatever horn I was on at the time. I know a lot of it is personal preference. It seems like the usual advice is to try out a bunch of them and pick the one that works best. Since the local music shop doesn't carry them, if I ever bought one I'd have to mail order it, and be stuck with it whether I liked it or not.

So, do you guys think it would be advisable to try out one of the other "standard" pieces mentioned elsewhere on this site? One that is just generally better than stock mps and works for everybody? I'm satisfied with what I have, but it would be interesting to compare.

Thanks!
    Tom

Stork Custom 5

Originally posted by: WyoBadger

So, do you guys think it would be advisable to try out one of the other "standard" pieces mentioned elsewhere on this site? One that is just generally better than stock mps and works for everybody?
    There is usually a reason lots of people use particular mouthpieces. I would suggest Bach 5G, Wick 4AL, Mead SM3, and Schilke 51D for starters. They are all very popular.

You can see specs here:

Euphonium Mouthpieces
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Stork Custom 5

The quandary of mouthpiece selection for me has been that the ideal mouthpiece always seems to be the one that I am not using at the time. I will try a new one, compare back and forth with the old one over a period of several days, and finally decide that the new one has solved my problems. Two months later, I will begin to have doubts, and I pull out the old one again and conduct another series of trials - only to discover that the old one was better after all. This process seems to repeat itself over and over. Of course, there are always a few mouthpieces that are immediately apparent as not suited for euphonium, but all of the common standards used by the professional players always seem so close that a decision is usually a matter of splitting hairs. All of those mentioned by David Werden are good choices. If price is a major concern, then my advice is to start with something cheap to find the best size range, and then branch out into the more expensive models if you still have the desire to experiment. The Bach mouthpieces are usually the most inexpensive of the traditional brands, and the 5G-4G-3G range will cover the most common sizes. The Kelley plastic mouthpieces are the cheapest, but they may not be a good direct comparison with a metal mouthpiece (and the sizes are limited). Also, look at the websites of the major online dealers. Occasionally you will catch a mouthpiece sale. I picked up a 1G Giardinelli this way for only $25, and it works great for when I need to try to be a tuba.

Stork Custom 5

A number of online vendors offer a trial period of some sort. The "catch," if you can call it that, is you pay shipping both ways and a minimal restocking fee on all returns. (Dillon Music is 7 days and $2.50; Mouthpiece Express is 15 days and 10%; wwbw is 10 days and $4).

If you can live with used, you can find just about anything at half the price of new or less. Check the classified ads section on some of the tuba/euph, trombone, and brass band discussion boards. I recently picked up a new Yamaha 53H, a barely used SM4 (not even receiver marks on the shank), and a very lightly used Denis Wick 4BS (again, no marks of any kind) for $80, shipped.

Stork Custom 5

I agree with dkstone - "the ideal mouthpiece always seems to be the one that I am not using at the time." My 2 cents worth is to find one that is comfortable, produces the sound you want (record yourself) and STICK WITH IT. It has been my experience that over time, the idea that a different mp will fix particular problems more often than not puts a band-aid on the real problem which can usually be solved by practice, practice, practice. I record my playing, play in front of a mirror and also in complete darkness to analyze sound and physics of playing - what you discover can be quite revealing. Breathing exercises or aerobic activity (runnning, walking, bicycling,...) is also a tremendous asset. So my suggestion is to make sure you have a good embouchure, posture, breath control and good mental attitude FIRST.

9. Stork Custom 5

Co, it's funny you mention that. I was just thinking this morning about how subtle the difference in sound really is between a student model besson--a good, solid horn with nothing fancy--and my fancy Yamaha. A good player can make either one sound great, and I suspect that even a very experienced player would have a hard time picking out a good basic horn from a good "professional" horn by sound alone, all other things being equal. But there are still advantages to top-of-the-line equipment.

My other major instrument is the pennywhistle, and when you can get a new, perfectly good instrument for $10, and a top-of-the-line, custom hand made model for around $200, the temptation to try to fix problems with a new instrument is irresistable. I have a couple dozen whistles. If I had the money, I'd probably have a couple dozen euphoniums, too. Just as well. Each horn seems to have its own personality, and it takes time to really get to know a horn and learn how to make it sing.

I've been playing for almost 30 years, used it to pay for college, and I generally have the posture, embouchure, breathing, and attitude stuff reasonably under control. I guess it's time to just suck it up, do the research, try a few different pieces, and see if they do anything for me.

As always, I appreciate the great info!

Tom