Thread: Playing my dad's old King

1. Playing my dad's old King

After a 20 something year hiatus from music I pulled out my Trombone and Euphonium. Both of these were my dad's. He was a professional and I love the euphonium. It is a King he bought with his newspaper route money when he was a kid growing up in San Francisco. The tone is so warm and the color of the brass matches the sound. A beautiful warm brass with pearl valves. It still has the original King 7C mouth piece that came with it! I joined the community band recently and was hoping to play euphonium, but they needed trombone players as they already had 3 baritones and no "bones". So it goes. But if my bursitis keeps acting up, I my HAVE to play the euphonium. (BTW the trombone is a vintage E.K. Blessing that according to my dad, toured the South Pacific during WWII and played USO shows with Glen Miller, The Dorsey Bros., Bob Hope etc. If horns could only talk as these were stories my dad passed down to me and he passed away 23 years ago.

Playing my dad's old King

Welcome to the forum... and to 'back to playing' music again.

BTW, I like your avatar. I remember first seeing that picture (FA-18 breaking the sound barrier). Cool!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Playing my dad's old King

Thats a picture of me going for the high notes... ;} Thanks for hosting this great website. I also play the trombone and joined that group also. No trombone jokes???