Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Anyone planning to attend the Army Band Tuba/Euph Conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mclaugh
    • Sep 2007

Looks like I'll be in DC on business at the end of the month, so I'm planning on staying over for the Army Band Tuba/Euph Conference. I'd welcome the chance to meet up with any board members who are there.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

It's not a sure thing yet but I'm working on it. I already have the music for the Armed Forces Tuba-Euphonium ensemble and I would hate to miss the event.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• keithbarton
      • Mar 2006

I'm working on something special. Depends on what the "old guy" wants to do. I offered to loan his old horn back to him if he wants to perform but I doubt he'll take me up on it.

Comment

• keithbarton
        • Mar 2006

Well; now I won't be there, and neither will Arthur. He said, "I can't make the scene". My plan was to drive up. Go to his house on Saturday the 2nd, and take him to hear Brian Bowman's recital, and then take him home. I think maybe a Red Skins game or some Ultimate Fighting is on the TV that day. Arthur is crazy about that stuff.

Comment

• knuxie
          • Dec 2005

If you are planning to attend any of the reading sessions, let me know how my Bach arrangement went. Thanks.

Ken F.

Comment

• mclaugh
            • Sep 2007

OK, I've decided to buy a silver comp euph. (Nothing wrong with my Besson New Standard; I just want a silver horn.) With that in mind, I plan on trying every make and model horn I can get my hands on at the conference. Ideally, I'll be leaving the conference a new (to me) horn in tow, or at least on order.

With that in mind, a question for veteran conference attendees: do individuals (as opposed to retailers/dealers) try to sell horns at the conference, or are there likely to be be dealers with used or demo horns for sale?

Thanks.

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by: mclaugh
              do individuals (as opposed to retailers/dealers) try to sell horns at the conference, or are there likely to be be dealers with used or demo horns for sale?
              The answer is pretty much "yes" to everything, but it varies with the year. Be sure to stop by the Custom Music booth. Paul, the guy who actually builds the Sterling Virtuoso, will be there most of the time. You can learn a lot from him, and he's not scary - very low-key.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• imunimaginative
                • Jan 2008

I'm already here. Hope to see some people from the board there.

-JD

Comment

• RickF
                  • Jan 2006

Sure wish I could attend... but I am listening to the live broadcast via their website here:

The US Army Band (TUSAB) Tuba / Euphonium Conference

I'm using Quicktime link which is the 3rd one down. Next program is:

The "West Point Tuba Quartet"
                  with: SFC Barry Morrison and SSG Jason Ham, on euphonium
                  and MSG Gerald Cates and SSG Scott Beaver on tuba

Then...

The United States Marine Band Tuba-Euphonium Quartet
                  GySgt Mark Jenkins and SSgt Ryan McGeorge, euphonium
                  MGySgt John Cradler and MSgt Tom Holtz, tuba
                  image -> http://falconefestival.org/Tub...20Quartet%202007sm.jpg
                  Rick Floyd
                  Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                  Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                  The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                  Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• RickF
                    • Jan 2006

Tonight's final concert is being simulcast with audio/video. Starts at 7:30 PM.

Link to Concert

U.S. Army Concert Band 7:30 pm
                    Kenmore Auditorium

Academic Festival Overture.........Johannes Brahms (arr. Mark Hindsley)
                    .............COL Thomas Rotondi, Jr., conducting

Tapestries for Solo Tuba and Symphonic Winds
                    .................................................M ichael Forbes
                    Of Kings & Queens
                    I Love My Love
                    Of Religion & War
                    Of Death & Plague
                    Aye, the Food & Drink............MUC Andy Carlson, tuba

Gypsy Melodies (Zigeunerweisen) ............Pablo Sarasate
                    ...........arr. SFC Neal Corwell
                    ...........SFC Neal Corwell, euphonium

Adventures In Subterranea..........................Steve Bulla
                    World Premiere
                    ..........CSM Ross Morgan, tuba
                    ..........SGM (ret.) Jack Tilbury, tuba
                    ..........SGM (ret.) Jeff Arwood, tuba
                    ..........1LT David Paroby, conducting

<<<< Intermission >>>>>

Concertino for Euphonium and Band..........MAJ Lars Erik Gudim
                    ........CPT Sverre Stakston Olsrud, euphonium

Elegy ............................. Edward Madden
                    ..........Sam Pilafian, tuba

Carmen Fantasy......... Georges Bizet (arr. Aldo Forte/Patrick Sheridan)
                    ................Patrick Sheridan, tuba

To the Edge of Space ................ Patrick Sheridan/Sam Pilafian
                    ..........MSG Donald Palmire, MSG Dunstan P. Morris, SSG Adam Lessard, euphonium
                    ..........Patrick Sheridan and Sam Pilafian, tuba

Melody Shop ............................Karl L. King
                    ..........Massed Euphoniums

Them Basses ..........................Getty H. Huffine
                    .........Massed Tubas and Euphoniums
                    .........COL Thomas Rotondi, Jr., conducting
                    Rick Floyd

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.

Comment

• fsung
                      • Feb 2008

For those of you who missed the live broadcast, be sure to check out the Original (1983) Armed Forces Tuba Euph Ensemble recital audio once it's posted to the Army Band archives. As a euph player who grew up about an hour from DC, the chance to hear all "the greats" from my high school and college days playing together and to meet them was definitely a highlight of the conference. And, let me tell you, them "old guys" can flat-out PLAY!

Comment

• RickF
                        • Jan 2006

Hi fsung,

You must have had a great time there at the TUSAB tuba/euph conference. Hopefully I can attend one of these one day.

I'm glad those in charge made recordings available for those who couldn't make the trip. Even video coverage for some of it.

I watched last night's final concert via 'QuickTime' and thought Neal Corwell did a great job with "Hungarian Melodies" (his own arrangement). I also enjoyed Sam Pilafian's and Pat Sheridan's performance. Just awesome!
                        Rick Floyd

Comment

• fsung
                          • Feb 2008

Hi RickF,

I would strongly encourage you (and everyone else who has ever thought about attending the conference) to make it a point to get to the conference. You will NOT regret it! I can't recall ever having had as much fun or learning as much at a conference of any kind, or being more motivated to get back and start putting into practice what I learned.

As a strictly amateur, middle-of-the pack, intermediate level player, I debated up until the last minute whether it would be worth my while to make the trip.

There's a very fine line between inspiration and demoralization, and having only resumed playing this past October, after 28 years of not blowing a note, I was concerned that I would be in so far over my head among all the world-class players, professionals, and aspiring professionals who would be at the conference that I would feel out of place, and wondered whether being surrounded by and listening to all that skill and talent would be discouraging rather than inspiring.

I can honestly say that at no point was I made to feel like was out of my depth (even though I clearly was), or like I didn't belong; and that, without exception, the people I met and talked with, from the instantly recognizable to the anonymous, were welcoming and generous with their time, encouragement, and, when asked, suggestions for improving my playing.

In addition to having the chance to try almost every comp euph I've wanted to try (the only one I didn't get to try was the Yamaha 642, which wasn't available), personal highlights include:

The Original (1983) Military Band Tuba-Euph Ensemble recital: although I graduated from college the year of the inaugural USABTEC, growing up about an hour from DC, these were the folks I looked to throughout HS and into college as examples of how a euphonium should sound. Having the opportunity to see and hear those heroes of my youth performing together and to meet many of them was a real treat.

The Inter-Service Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble's performance of the main title theme from Star Wars. Talk about a sensory experience: You haven't lived until you've experienced 85 euphs and tubas belting out a fanfare!

Having the opportunity to handle and play a few notes on Dr. Werden's Sterling Virtuoso at the Custom Music stand! (Thanks, Dr. Werden.)

So for me, the bottom line looks like this:

Meals for three days: $86.31

Hotel room for two nights: $144.66

Gas, round trip: $52

Having a sponsored euphonium player approach you Sat afternoon and tell you he had listened to you trying out various horns over the past couple of days and that you're a good player: PRICELESS!

Comment

• highams
                            • Feb 2006

Just got back to the UK after attending the conference. Great event and so good to meet you David W. at last!

Will be posting pics once I've unpacked (lol).

CB

Comment

• RickF
                              • Jan 2006

Fsung said, "There's a very fine line between inspiration and demoralization"
                              Oh, I like that! So true.

Charley,

Can't wait until I see those pictures. I did see some over on Tubenet posted by "Bandnerd" I think it was. Glad you had a good trip.
                              Rick Floyd

Comment

Working...
                              X