Thread: So is this a Sovereign or New Standard?

So is this a Sovereign or New Standard?

I've found a used silver Besson 3+1 comp euph for sale that I'm seriously thinking about buying. The owner isn't sure of the model because it's been in storage for a few years. I haven't had a chance to see or play it yet because it's about a six hours (one way) away, so I want to be fairly certain of what it is before I decide whether or not it's worth the trip to check out.

In talking to the owner by phone, he mentioned that it had trapezoidal finger buttons, so I assumed it was a New Standard, but then said he bought it new in 1995 (!), and that, originally, it came with a second set of regular (straight sided) finger buttons that did not have the onyx tops, though he no longer has them. (I didn't think to ask whether or not the valve caps were scalloped.)

My understanding is that the Sovereign replaced the New Standard in the late '70s/early '80s (?), which I assumed meant that the New Standard was discontinued at that time. I would be inclined to think the horn is a Sovereign owing to the 1995 purchase date, but because of the New Standard-style finger buttons, I'm not sure what to think.

Does anyone recall when the New Standard line was discontinued, and whether either the Sovereign or New Standard came with an extra set of finger buttons from the other model? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the B&H Imperial and "Class B" New Standards had the regular finger buttons, so if it's a New Standard, I could see the US importer or retailer including a set of Imperial-style buttons for cosmetic purposes.)

Also, I've run across several posts here and on Tubenet discussing the quality control problems Besson ran into prior to being placed in receivership, but haven't found anything noting when those problems started to be noticed. Given the 1995 purchase date, how much of a concern are those quality control issues likely to be for this horn?

Anyone care to take a whack at identifying this instrument? TIA.

2. So is this a Sovereign or New Standard?

Get a serial number. You can then date the horn accuratelly. Also find out whether it uses a large shank or a medium (euro) shank mouthpiece. If medium shank, it certainly is a New Standard/Imperial. The Sovereign was always a large shank horn. The Besson Imperial was manufactured into the late 70's. I saw a new one in 1980 at a local music store and almost bought it. Instead, I purchased a new Sovereign (1980 model) in 1981. I have heard that some Imperials may have been manufactured with the large shank late in their production life.

In any case, either horn is a likely keeper. I loved the 1971 model Imperial I played in college. The Cal Band boiught me a brand new horn when I started there. I used it until I graduated.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

So is this a Sovereign or New Standard?

The serial number will have to wait 'til the owner gets the horn out of storage.

IIRC, Dave Werden noted in another thread that Besson switched from Euro to large shank some time around 1973-74, and the Besson 767 I bought on ebay, whose serial # dates it to '75-'76, is large shank. So I'm not sure that knowing the mpc shank size is all that helpful in this instance, except to establish whether the horn was mfg'd prior or subsequent to the changeover.

I'm really only interested in this horn if it's a Sovereign and isn't from the "iffy" period, since, apart from its age, I'm quite happy with my 767.