Thread: Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

1. Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

I couldn't contain my excitement any longer, and I had to let you all know! I'm picking up my brand new Yammie 842S Custom this thursday (dec. 27) at Rayburn music in Boston! Sorry, but I'm ridiculously excited and I couldn't contain myself any longer. My wait is finally over... time to say goodbye to the old Yammie 321S, and say hello to a professional horn. I'll make sure to post some reviews within the next couple of days to let you all know how things are going with the new horn.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes
    US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

Sorry, but I'm ridiculously excited and I couldn't contain myself any longer.
    I don't blame you... you lucky dog!

Good luck with your new horn... and let us know your impressions please.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

time to say goodbye to the old Yammie 321S, and say hello to a professional horn.
    Well, don't toss that into the dumpster. You can just ship it to me. ;>

4. Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

lucky....

5. Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

Originally posted by: CATransplant

time to say goodbye to the old Yammie 321S, and say hello to a professional horn.

Well, don't toss that into the dumpster. You can just ship it to me. ;>
    Hahaha.... I would ship it to you, but Rayburn music is using my old horn as a trade in.... you know, that way my new horn costs a bit less.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes

Besson Prestige 2052

You've had the thing 24 hours. Give us the report already!

Originally posted by: mclaugh

You've had the thing 24 hours. Give us the report already!
    I assume that's because he hasn't taken it off his face yet, right? That's OK - he has to stop to eat before long.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

8. Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

O.k... So I've had the new Euphonium for exactly a week now, and it's about time that I posted a small review (as if there aren't already enough reviews out there). So, first of all, coming from a Yamaha 321S and going to an 842S Custom is a huge change. I did spend a lot of time over the past few months test playing just about every Euphonium that I could get my hands on. I played both the new Buffet and old Besson Sovereigns and Prestiges, some newer Willsons, Yamaha 642 and 842s, and maybe a few others that I can't remember right now. During the test playing stage, I thought that the 842S was the most free blowing instrument, and had the most consistent intonation out of all that I tested. So, as you already know, I decided to go with the Yamaha 842S Custom.
    Now that I am a week into my ownership, my opinion of the horn has not changed at all. I'm really amazed at how easy the horn is to play. The 842 has very minimal resistance throughout the entire range, and the high range is very easy to play in. The minimal amount of resistance makes it very easy to put huge amounts of air through the horn when I need to play "FF". The valves are also really great. They are extremely smooth, and very light and bouncy. So far, I've only used the standard Yamaha valve oil that the horn came with, but I have had no problems with slow or sticky valves. I know that there are some people who don't really prefer the Yamaha sound, but so far I really like the sound. The horn has a big sound that projects very easily, and it is not too bright, and certainly not too dark. In fact, the sound is one of the things that I prefer about the horn mostly because it is different from some of the other brands out there, but I different in a really good way; it is really pleasing to listen to. The one thing about the horn that has been the hardest so far is the amount of air that I have to put through the horn. There are obviously huge differences in the amount of air required from the 321S as compared to a large shank horn like the 842S. In all honesty though, I am doing pretty well with the air requirements of the horn since I have been doing breathing exercises for a while in anticipation of switching over to a larger horn. But of course, there is still a little ways to go before I am completely used to the amount of air that I have to put through the horn.
    Anyways, that's all for now. I have a small solo recital that I'm playing this sunday for a local organization that organizes musical events for a bunch of high school musicians in my area. I'll let you all know how it goes with the new horn.
    Gregory E. Lopes
    Euphonium player
    US Navy Band Great Lakes

Besson Prestige 2052

9. Brand new Yamaha Custom 842S!!

Very cool. Congrats on your new horn. I, too, would have liked your 321, but I understand about making the new one affordable!!