Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miraphone 1258A

1. Miraphone 1258A

Greetings, all!
    I just got, thanks to my wife and an incredible deal from WWBW, a new (B stock-just a return they could not sell as new) Miraphone 1258A silver plated euphonium. I have been unable to find any reviews on this horn online, so I though I'd share my initial thoughts on it.

I am a 39-year-old returning player. I didn't play much for 7-8 years, but got back into it a few years ago and am playing with my local community college's small concert band. I was playing a beat-up large shank 4-valve (inline) Conn 19I with horrible intonation issues up until Wednesday, and that's the best horn I've ever played on aside from the Yamaha 321 I played in high school. I have never played a professional level instrument before now.

The Miraphone has a nice dark sound and is very free-blowing. The large bore is going to require a bit more air, but it sounds great. The valves seem to require less force than the Conn and have a shorter throw. The fourth valve on the side will take some getting used to, but it makes it feel more like an F instrument than the non-compensating 4th valve on the Conn. I used to play mellophone in marching band, so the F fingerings are fairly natural for me.

The horn "speaks" easily; I have never been able to trill well between Bb and C (as in Carnival of Venice's first variation), but it seems to come easily to me on the Miraphone. The intonation, in both B-flat and F, is incredible to my ears. I've only spent about an hour playing it and have not put a tuner to it yet, but it is light-years ahead of the Conn. Almost makes you wonder why they easiest to play, in-tune instruments are not made for beginners in the first place!

As far as the "B-stock" part goes, the horn is in excellent condition. I haven't yet found any visible defects, scratches, dents, etc., that would indicate it had been sold, played and returned. I got an incredible deal on it. It was $2999, and they had a $200 discount and free shipping.

I'm surprised my wife suggested I get a new euphonium, but she knew I had been struggling with the Conn and I've really stepped up my practicing and playing this year, and I'm even considering taking some lessons to improve even more. I'm mostly self taught, so that should be interesting! I'm looking forward to spending a lot of quality time with this horn, and I am thrilled with it so far.

Patrick McNeal
    ">http://www.jacpat.com

Miraphone 1258A

Congratulations Patrick!

Your new horn sounds great. When I got my euph 7 years ago (3+1 config), I practiced a lot of scales and also purchased "Trumpeter's Lullaby" (by Leroy Anderson)... which uses 1-3 or 4 fingering quite a bit. This helped me get used to using my left index finger.

Keep making beautiful music.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Miraphone 1258A

"The right place at the right time" -- that's my motto!

Nice going! It pays (literally) to watch for special deals like that. I'm sure this will be a great upgrade from your previous horn, as you have found already.

Now the trick is to take advantage of the new horn. It is bigger and will produce a larger, more rounded sound compared to your old horn. Most people appreciate that difference as they are trying the new horn. However, it takes more air to play it. Our bodies like to work using habits, and you may find yourself falling back into the old habit of using less air. You will still sound somewhat better but you won't be taking advantage of the horn's capabilities.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Miraphone 1258A

Well, a month in and I really love this horn. Now begins the great mouthpiece hunt.
    I was playing on an SM5, but the low register was extremely difficult to attain. I've been playing on the mouthpiece that came with the horn, a George Roberts bass trombone model, roughly a 1-1/4G. Surprisingly, I can play pretty well with it, but I'm having some intonation problems. I think it may be way too deep for me, and the throat and backbore are huge! I like the diameter of the cup, though. I thought it would be too big but it is very comfortable. My range hasn't suffered too much, and lip slurs are a breeze (I devote a lot of time to them, though so it may just be the practicing)
    I have a quick question, though: The fourth valve has a lock on it, to keep it depressed. I don't think it is for storage, as keeping the spring compressed seems like a bad thing, and it fits in the case either way. What is this typically used for?

Thanks,
    Patrick McNeal

Miraphone 1258A

The 4th valve lock is to protect the valve from the case (and to some extent to protect the case from the valve). You should use it when you put it away.

However, check this blog post - otherwise it can cause minor problems:

Keeping the 4th Valve Quiet

And also check this tip:
    Rattling 4th Valve Lock
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

6. Miraphone 1258A

Thanks for the tip. My horn didn't come with a manual ;-)

Patrick

Miraphone 1258A

Patrick,

I also play a Miraphone 1258A in lacquer, purchased around 15 months ago. My perfect mouthpiece search is still on, but I have narrowed the search down a bit. I get the best low register with an SM3.5, but there is some midrange fuzz on a few notes. I have also experimented with Bach Megatone 4G and 5Gs. These yield better results on the higher notes and no fuzz.

I made the mistake of taking a Lexan Kelly 51D to the Krewe du Vieux parade in New Orleans last week. Temperature was 38 deg. F, and I had to pull the main tuning slide way out and was in danger of losing seal and blowing out. I ended up playing about 5 cents sharp to be on the safe side.

Right now I am sticking with the Megatone 4G for indoor practice and will take the SM3.5 and the 4G for the other two upcoming outdoor Mardi Gras runs.

Bruce H Ward
    Houston TX

Besson BE2056-2 4-Valve Compensating Baritone
    1946 Conn 30-I Wonderphone 5-Valve Double-bell

8. Miraphone 1258A

Thanks for the recommendations!
    With the SM3.5 being funnel-shaped and the 4G being cup-shaped, which do you prefer for overall playing?

Thanks again,
    Patrick McNeal

Miraphone 1258A

I am still undecided. The SM3.5 is closer to a "true" euph intonation with the 1258A, but the Mega 4G had more power on the low end in my last test comparison.

My current preference is the 4G, as I am looking for an F tuba sound as a street horn. I may even move down to a Mega 1.5G.

That being said, I think for your concert band work the SM series would be a better choice.
    Bruce H Ward
    Houston TX

Besson BE2056-2 4-Valve Compensating Baritone
    1946 Conn 30-I Wonderphone 5-Valve Double-bell

Miraphone 1258A

Patrick -- how are you liking your 1258A after several months with the horn? I've been intrigued by the instrument ever since I noticed that the Modern Jazz Tuba Project has switched to Miraphone Tubas and Euphs. Of course, sponsorship has an allure which may make even the best players switch instruments, but a few months ago Marc Dickman was selling his Yamaha 842 on line, so this was not whimsy on their part.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast