X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superted
    • Dec 2007

966 Sovereign Specs

Hi, does anyone know the bore sizes of the Sovereign 966 model? I'm playing on one at the moment and I'm most interested on the difference between that and the 968.

It'd help when I have to replace it, I love playing on a smaller bore but at the moment I'm only aware of the YEP621 having similar specs.

If I was to measure it myself, where do I make the measurements? (I know manufacturers quote bore sizes measured at different places)

cheers,
    ted
    Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
    Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone
  • mclaugh
    • Sep 2007

966 Sovereign Specs

Taditionally, bore is measured at inside the 2nd valve slide.

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

966 Sovereign Specs

I have a new blog post about measuring instrument bore sizes (and mouthpiece sizes):

Measuring the Bore of a Brass Instrument

If memory serves, I think the bore of your 966 is .580"
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JP
        • Jan 2007

966 Sovereign Specs

Do we measure the inside of the removable slide piece, or the inside of the slide tubes that remain attached to the valve?

JP

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

966 Sovereign Specs

Originally posted by: JP
          Do we measure the inside of the removable slide piece, or the inside of the slide tubes that remain attached to the valve?
          JP
          I updated the blog post to say that it is the part you remove, not the part that is soldered to the valve cylinder. The idea is to measure the smallest diameter in that mechanism, which is found inside the removable slide.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• JP
            • Jan 2007

966 Sovereign Specs

Originally posted by: dwerden

I updated the blog post to say that it is the part you remove, not the part that is soldered to the valve cylinder. The idea is to measure the smallest diameter in that mechanism, which is found inside the removable slide.
            That's what I thought, but it doesn't make sense to me. The ID of the removable slide is practically the same size as the OD of the tube soldered to the valve cylinder. It would make more sense to me if "bore" was defined as the hole size through the tubing, which would be the ID of the tube soldered to the valve cylinder.

JP

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

966 Sovereign Specs

I don't think that's how it usually is. The horn is made of lots of inner and outer tubes. In theory, here's how it goes from the valve on out (with made-up numbers):

- the valve cylinder has passages running through it. The air follows those paths. Let's say the diameter of the passage is .580"

- A hole is cut into the valve casing to accept a soldered-on tube. Once the tube is soldered in place, it becomes a portal for the air, and its hole through the valve casing is .580" so it matches the passage in the valve cylinder. We'll call this Tube P (portal).

- A slide receiver is soldered onto Tube P. This tube will be slightly larger so it fits over Tube P. We'll call the slide receiver Tube R (receiver) and say it's inner diameter is .590". That roughly matches the outer diameter of Tube P.

- The end of the tuning slide is made of .580" inner diameter tubing, the same as Tube P. We'll call the slide tube Tube S. This tubing has an outer diameter of roughly .590", so it fits neatly inside Tube R.

If that tuning slide is pushed all the way in, the air goes through a .580" passage in the valve cylinder, passes through a .580" portal into the slide's tubing, then goes into the .580" tubing of the slide.

If the tuning slide is pulled out 1/4 inch, its end does not meet the end of the portal tube. The air goes through the valve and the portal at .580". Then it hits the part where Tube P and Tube S do not meet, so the bore becomes .590" (the inner bore of Tube R).

The drawings below might help. The first shows that when the slide is pushed in, the bore remains constant. When it is pulled out slightly, the bore changes for a short distance.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• JP
                • Jan 2007

966 Sovereign Specs

Dave,

Sorry for the confusion. I was envisioning the 2nd valve slide configuration to be opposite what it actually is. I caught it when I pulled and dumped my 2nd slide tonight while practicing.

And great explanation!

JP

Comment

Working...
                X