X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBrassLee
    • Jan 2011

Hand Guards?

Why not just wipe it down with pure cotton flannel when you are done playing?

Comment

• littleguino
      • Aug 2010

Hand Guards?

Originally posted by: DelVento well im a tennis player so I have plenty of those grips...ill try some thanks felix
      DelVento... Did you actually use the tennis grips on your horn? If so, would it be possible for you to put up some pictures? I recently got a Meinl Weston 451 and the silver plate is already coming off on the third valve slide and I can't seem to find anything online that is designed for a MW euph. My hands tend to geat sweaty when I play a lot so it doesn't surprise me that this is happening already. The only thing I find strange is that I had no problems with the Jupiter noncomp euph I used through high school, but I think it was nickel plated instead of silver so I don't know if that would make a big difference or not.

Comment

• Euph95
        • Jan 2014

Does anyone know if the iscoguard for the Besson (c.1972) or Prestige right hand guarde and fourth valve guard would fit a Boosey and Hawkes 767?

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Euph95 View Post
          Does anyone know if the iscoguard for the Besson (c.1972) or Prestige right hand guarde and fourth valve guard would fit a Boosey and Hawkes 767?
          I would think that a 1972 Besson and a B&H 767 would have the same dimensions, so it should work.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Rbegel
            • May 2014

should I avoid phone cord guards on silver?

Greetings, here is my first post as I am a trombonist who also just got a Mack Brass Silver Euph.
            I have seen trombonists use coiled phone cord as hand guards. It seems tried and true, lasting for years on straight tubing (not good on curves) with no adverse effects. I just ordered 50 feet for $7 for my trombone and possible euph needs, and that is my question:

Is there a good reason not to use this on silver? It seems quite safe, but of course does not have the felt backing or moisture barrier.

I am definitely buying the leather specialties bell guard for the left hand by the compensating valve where the tubing is thick, but for a couple of the narrow straight tubes (LH 3rd valve slides and RH bar) it would save a lot of $ if everyone here agrees that the phone cord is fine. Or it could save me a lot of heartache if everyone agrees that the phone cord will cause problems on the silver finish and so I avoid it!

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

I would think the phone cord would probably work okay. Depends on the material used to make the cord. Rubber will tarnish silver after some time, but I suspect the phone cord is really vinyl.

Rich, welcome to Dave Werden's forum.

I deleted a couple of your posts as they were duplicate.
              Last edited by RickF; 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM.
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• Euph95
                • Jan 2014

Cool. Thanks

Comment

• dsurkin
                  • Feb 2014

I figured I would ask the folks at LSCo. for their advice on the Mack Brass compensating euphonium. Here's a portion of the response Sue Kalmbach sent me, along with their offer to send me samples (deposit required) to cut, tape, and alter as required, which they'll use for as templates to make the final guards. It was a wonderfully detailed response, complete with photographs.

I have attached two pictures that show the placement of the guards on the horn, the numbered areas
                  of the pictures will correspond with the guards listed below. The guards are that are starred are
                  the guards that we know will fit for sure. All of the guards are available in black or brown
                  leather.

The guards that Larry is recommending are a combination of Besson and Wilson guards.

* 1. #4232 Valve Section Guard $15.16
                  * 2. #4234 Right Hand Bar Guard $15.16
                  3. #4254 Bell Tube Guard $25.28
                  4. #4238 3rd Valve Slide Guard $25.28
                  5. #4252 Bottom Slide Guard $39.08
                  --Dean L. Surkin
                  Dean L. Surkin
                  Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                  Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                  Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                  See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• tonewheeler
                    • Dec 2010

Ordered my set of guards from LSCo last week. Did the whole deal over email between Larry and Sue. I guess I'm getting the same ones Rick ordered for his 5050. I think I'll have to make a modification because I have a trigger guard on my 5050.
                    Euphs:
                    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                    Yamaha 201 Baritone
                    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                    Groups:
                    The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• RickF
                      • Jan 2006

The guards I have are working fine still. Hopefully you won't have to modify yours too much for the trigger.
                      Rick Floyd
                      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                      Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• tonewheeler
                        • Dec 2010

Right after I hit the send button last night, I discovered my guards showed up. There were four total. The two that cover the third valve pipes won't work because of the trigger, but the larger one below the fourth valve works fine. The hand guard works well too. I'll be keeping those, but I'm sending back the 3rd valve. I'd anticipated this, but I wanted to see the material and use it as a pattern for the modifications I need.

Based on where my left hand sits over the 3rd valve slides on onto the trigger area, I'm going to have him make two separate pieces on each tube above the trigger assembly. That should do the job.

I have to say the LSCo guards are very well made indeed, with a blue felt like material on the inside and double stitching. They are made to last a very long time!

Thanks to Rick for first mentioning this company!
                        Euphs:
                        Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
                        Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
                        Yamaha 201 Baritone
                        Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
                        Groups:
                        The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

Working...
                        X