Thread: Mouthpiece - for High Range

1. Mouthpiece - for High Range

I'm looking for a mouthpiece that aids in hitting the high range notes but still keeps the low- and midrange notes warm and beautiful. Are there ANY mouthpieces that do this? I just got a B&H Sovereign and I use a 4AL Wick. I new to both the mouthpiece and euphonium so a little breaking in may be in order (I plan on playing close to an hour each day).

All comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mouthpiece - for High Range

I'm a euph performance major in college and I just switched from a conn artist mouthpiece (falcone's personal model...rather like a 6 1/2 al) to a VERY large Giddings and Webster mouthpiece. I have to say that regardless of size, it's all about the buzz and vibrations you make with the mouthpiece. My recommendation is pick a mouthpiece that you are comfortable with and DON'T USE ANY OTHER ONE--don't switch inbetween mouthpieces for at least one week. Buzz as much as you can, when you are driving and what not.... that more buzz you get then the better control you will have. This will ultimately allow you to be more flexible in terms of your range but first you need to be comfortable with your mouthpiece.

Furthermore, I would recommend doing high register warm-ups. The best thing that has worked for me has been playing an "f scale" at 50 bmp in eighth notes one octave and working my way up one chromatic step at a time and holding out each chromatic step past one octave for about 4 beats. You will be surpised how quickly you embouchure will build up....

Mouthpiece - for High Range

I just got a Besson 767 and have been test playing a Wick 4AL, Schilke 51D, and Bach 4T. The Schilke and Bach are smaller (diameter) and shallower than the Wick and are easier to play in the upper register, but they give a noticably brighter tone throughout the range than the Wick.

Before casting around for a new mpc, check out the thread expanding my range in the Performance and Practice - Tips and Advice subform, especially the links in RickF's post. It may be a "trick" or a "gimmick," but it works.

Mouthpiece - for High Range

For hight range you don't need a special mouthpiece, it's a technique to learn (i can play hight range with any of my mouthpiece), the technique is explained on my website:
    www.euphonium.fr click english,pedagogy, i recorded an exaemple i play double hight C with a Loud LM 25 (26,3mm)