Thread: Which Tuba?

Top action, Front action, Rotary: Best in which situations?

I play a King 2280 euphonium (4V, top action) in my Moravian church band and would like to learn to play the tuba, too. I can read only bass clef. The other tubas in our band are all BBb, and I'm learning that most all beginners start out with BBb, so my guess is that's what I'll end up with. Traditionally we play a 20 minute prelude (various chorales) before church starts every Sunday. If it's not raining or snowing, and the temp is above 50 deg F, we play them outdoors standing up. Otherwise, we play our prelude indoors seated. We also play an anthem during church about 6 times a year. Lastly, we play for the Easter Sunrise service which lasts about 1.5 hours, and of course we're standing for that, and at times walking as we play antiphonally.

Given our playing patterns, I'm wondering whether top, front, or rotary would be best. Also, are most tubas normally built with places to hook a strap or some other holding device?

Just interested in hearing about pros and cons from those who have experience on this forum. Of course I'll be discussing this with the tuba players in our band - but most of them don't own their tuba and use what was given to them by the church to use. I will be buying mine. Thanks!

2. Top action, Front action, Rotary: Best in which situations?

Have you considered an Eb tuba? When I was in high school (30+ years ago) we had an upright 3 valve Eb tuba that I played around on. Given that your church band already has BBb tubas, seriously consider an Eb. Dave Werden has some keys on how to read the music that would make the transition easier. As far as the valve/rotor thing goes, I would try the upright valves on an Eb.

I am currently "making the switch" to tuba from euphonium in my New Horizons band. So far, I've played a 3/4 upright piston Yamaha (my friends described this as my "baritone" on steriods) and a slightly larger 3/4 Yamaha with the pistons in front (my current axe, and the most comfortable so far). I will soon be test-playing and hoping to buy a 4/4 Meinl/mutt with 4 rotary valves (haven't played rotary valves on a tuba, ever).

Good Luck!
    Ally

Originally posted by: bearphonium

Have you considered an Eb tuba?
    I agree with this suggestion! For me, the E-flat tuba seemed a natural choice when I first wanted to start learning tuba. I could read bass clef tuba music as though it were treble clef euphonium music, for one thing. It made the transition easier. And the E-flat tuba fits in nicely to chamber ensembles, which is what you are usually using in church. It is a great fit for brass quintet - neither too large nor too small.

Mine is a Besson Sovereign, and it has rings to attach a strap if you choose (I have never tried this because I never had to play standing).

If you need to play outside at cooler temperatures, you might also consider the weight of the metal. My Sovereign has heavy metal, and once it gets cold it takes a while to get it warmed up again. A horn that were made with lighter stock with warm up more quickly (but might not sound as good).

I prefer valves arranged the same way as the ones on my euphonium, so side valves were my choice. I prefer pistons for tuba because they give greater clarity. Rotary valves, on the other hand, may give you a smoother effect on lyrical passages. The difference in the two types is in the transitions from note to note while slurring.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for your reply! No, had not considered anything other than BBb. I don't read treble clef - and my thinking here is that a 4V BBb tuba would be my easiest transition. I am curious, though, about your statement, "Given that your church band already has BBb tubas, seriously consider an Eb." Why? Again, thanks for your reply.

Dave, thanks for the insights! I'm starting to get the idea that most euph players on this forum read treble and usually play solo or at least the melody. So I assume that might be where the Eb tuba suggestion came from? As a bass-clef-only player, I'm usually hanging out with the tubas (octave higher), playing a supporting role. Perhaps one day I'll venture into playing melodies, but right now I'm satisfied playing the great Moravian chorales which feature some strong and often featured bass clef parts.

I'm relatively new to this forum and greatly appreciate all the helpful advice. Comments welcome!

6. Top action, Front action, Rotary: Best in which situations?

My suggestion for the Eb was several-fold: You'd be augmenting rather than adding to the existing tuba section, The Eb is smaller and easier to carry, and I think it is an easier transition than the one to BBb. I read treble, but only because I played the french horn in college. All the euph stuff I do is bass clef, FWIW. Learning trebble clef opens up all the cornet/trumpet literature, but I haven't ventured there, yet!
    Ally

Bearphonium, thanks again. Size isn't really a consideration - if for some reason a full-size BBb didn't work for me, I could get a 3/4 BBb or something like that I guess.

I'm intrigued by your statement that a Eb would be an easier transition. My understanding is that if I already read bass clef, then going from a 4V Bb euph to a 4V BBb tuba would mean the same fingerings - and thus would be the easiest of all euph-to-tuba transitions. I'm probably missing something obvious here...

From a musical perspective, I could see where an Eb might have a different tone|timbre, and therefore add diversity to the band.