X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbrown91
    • Nov 2006

Tuba Exchange Comp. Euph.

[b]I saw on Tuba Exchanges website that they have there own models now. I saw this one and it is considerably affordable. It's about 2300 dollars. Yes a COMPENSATING, THIS IS NEW. It looks like a 642 to me, the design is similar anyways. If they were good, this is the one I'd buy. If they're anything like a 642, I'd be buying one in a heartbeat. Thanks in advance.

Link to euph.

http://tubaexchange.com/produc...il.asp?PID=TE-1150L[/B
  • jbrown91
    • Nov 2006

I was looking at Besson horns, these may be there counterparts. They look almost identical, like 90%-95% alike. The Sovereign looks a lot alike, the prestige a little bit. So it may be a Besson. Either way this horn has to be made by one of the main street brands. Unless someone just made good looking copies.

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

It may not be safe to attribute a maker to this horn just because it looks like another production model. Remember that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." There is a lot of "flattery" in the brass market. Besson is the most-frequently-copied brand in euphoniums.

A simple email to Tuba Exchange should let you learn where the horn is made. They might even be willing to tell you who makes it for them. Even that may not be enough to provide insight into the quality of the horn. A factory can turn out instruments to various specifications. They could copy the look and general design of a Besson, but use much cheaper materials, for example.

When I was working with Sterling to develop the current model, we were trying to improve the intonation. We changed one tube on the horn, and the difference was simply how soon the taper happened within that tube. The change is absolutely invisible to the naked eye and would not show up in any specification, but it made a big improvement in intonation. The point is, looks don't tell you much.

Tuba Exchange is a good vendor, and my dealings with them have been just fine. But I would not settle for knowing who makes this model, other than possibly to rule it out/in as a horn to try. PLAYING it is the way to tell what it is worth.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jbrown91
        • Nov 2006

Yes, I agree with you fully. After reading my post I should have put something like you said about copying. An example is how widely copied Honda Engines and products are copied. There identical except that the Honda uses quality parts that will last. The parts are interchangeable making people think it is a Honda. But I'm going to call them to see if they will tell me the man. and where it is made. I thought maybe someone has played one on this forum. It seems like if you want to find out about a specific euphonium, this is the place. It's amazing what you and others know about all these different brand, models, technical data, and anything else you could think of about Euphs. I'm still looking at a comp. model and am still looking for the best company. I want something that has good range, a dark tone, easy blowing, multi-purpose, and something that will last. I know Yamaha, Besson, Sterling, Wilson, and Hirsburnners are all the best brands. But which one, is the question I ask. I love Yamaha, but I've heard so many great things about all the instruments from many respectable people. The only instrument I could test locally would be a Yamaha, unless someone carries the others I don't know of, or a used one. Thanks.

Comment

• jbrown91
          • Nov 2006

I called Tuba Exchange and this is what they told me :
          Built in one of the best Chinese factoris
          There interpretation of 642
          LIFETIME WARRANTY, not transferable
          They'll pay local music shop to repair it
          21 day trial period, if you don't like it then send it back (You pay return shipping of like $30)
          Almost exactly like 642, Tone, Ease of Blowing, Quality, Overall sound
          2300 includes shipping

This sound pretty good, I REALLY like the 21 day trial. What's your take?

Comment

• JTJ
            • Nov 2005

I live about 15 minutes from the Tuba Exchange and have played two samples of their compensating euph. Several local players have bought them as well as the music department of one of the UNC system schools.

The horns are made in China and build quality is good on the two I played. They play well, with no intonation issues worse than any other euph, and they have a singing sound. The valve action and response was good. They use large shank mouthpieces. I know the TE compares them to the 642, but I felt they played and sounded more like the Besson Sovereign 967. In fact, while there, I played a used 967 which was in the shop on consignment, and I thought the Chinese horn held its own with regard to sound.

If build quality and consistency remain good, the instrument is a good value.

Comment

• jbrown91
              • Nov 2006

Thanks, it looks pretty good and I'm interested. I like the dark tone of a Besson. But it's nice that you live where you do and can check them out. So you think as a student it would be a good deal, or should I buy a used horn(for instance eBay)? I'd like to get a prestige, but a Sovereign would work.

Comment

• kevin67
                • Aug 2006

The TE has a very resonable return / trial policy. Ebay has no policy or morals except as specificaly written in the listing.

I have no problem buying vintage horns on ebay, I know I will have work to do.
                I would want to play the horn before I bought it for my main axe. My main horn was bought in 1981. The Marshall Music in E. Lansing MI had 8 YEP-321 to test. My teacher narrowed it to 3 horns, then I played thoes 3 and one horn seemed better for me than the other 2. I would do the same thing again.

Comment

• Altphart
                  • Mar 2007

I bought a Tuba Exchange TE-1150L euphonium and could not be more pleased. My euph instructor at college mentioned to me that he was working with the Tuba Exchange on the development of this instrument. I asked a friend, who is an outstanding euph player, if he would go with me to evaluate the instrument. He plays a Yamaha 642. His assessment is that it plays and sounds every bit as good as his $4000 Yamaha. I bought it, and could not be more pleased with the instrument. The TE-1150L is a real winner and a heartbreak for the European and Japanese manufactures.

Comment

• Tim
                    • Apr 2007

Altphart keep us informed on the new euphonium. I'm considering an TE-1150 myself. How is the quality and finish on yours.

I don't live too far from TE and will go try one, but I would still like your opinion now that you've had it a while.

Comment

• 1stHack
                      • May 2007

Along this topic, TE also has a cheaper, non-compensating version - the TE-1300L - for about $900 bucks. Usually, you get what you pay for, I fully understand.

I currently have a 1948-49 release of a King baritone. It has beautiful intonation across the register. Unfortunately it has been through the Oakland California school system and has some pretty bad valves. I want to replace it with a comparably sounding euphonium, or spend the $800+ to have it fully repaired (after being assured that I'd never recoup that if I turned and tried to sell it).

Has anyone tried the TL-1300L? Is it a pipe dream to expect good sound from a $900 instrument?

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------------------------------
                      Euphonium Player in Local Community Band, definitely on the flat side professional

Comment

• JP
                        • Jan 2007

For more info on TE's comp and non-comp euphs, see the "Help selecting right horn" post in this section. Specifically, see FergiSan's post dated 10/20/06.

JP

Comment

• GregEuphonium
                          • Jun 2007

If i were looking to buy a compensating Euphonium (which I am), I probably wouldn't bother with a company that usually sells instruments, and doesn't manufacture them. Even if they are being manufactured by a third party company. You do get what you pay for.
                          Gregory E. Lopes
                          Euphonium player
                          US Navy Band Great Lakes
                          US Navy Music Program, 2009-Present

Besson Prestige 2052

Comment

• mclaugh
                            • Sep 2007

Hi,

I decided a couple of weeks ago to resume playing after a 27 year layoff. I started on an oval euph, but switched to a baritone in junior high, because that's all the school district had.

I have a silver King 4-valve Baritone w/upright bell (received as a high school graduation present in 1979) that I found difficult and frustrating to play: a LOT of resistance, thin, constricted, sound (even at full volume) with a hard, brassy edge (even at pp), which was one of the reasons I quit playing, so when I decided to start playing again, I decided to take a look at euphs

I stumbled across this website last night, just returned from trying out the TE compensating and non-compensating euphs and the Weril H980L.

While I am by no means an accomplished player, and recognizing that some of the differences I experienced may be due to the differences in the mouthpieces (I used the large shank mouthpiece that comes with the TEs for the TEs and the Weril, and the small shank Benge 6 1/2AL that came with my bari), even with my woefully out-of-shape embouchure and diaphragm, there is simply no comparison between the TEs and my baritone: the TEs were extremely free-blowing and produce a richer, fuller, and rounder tone at all volume levels and with far less effort. Even after playing continuously for half an hour or so (remember, I only started buzzing again two weeks ago), I was able to nail high Gs, As, Bbs, and Cs on the TEs with very little effort, whereas I've been struggling to hit anything above the Eb above the staff with my baritone, and the pedals were just about dead on and just effortless (the pedals are about 3/4 tone sharp on my bari, so I have to lip them down like crazy).

I'll probably keep the bari for sentimental reasons, but I will definitely be picking up a non-compensating TE. I'm sure that professional players and more advanced players would notice issues that I don't, but for my needs and skill level, the non-compensating TE is a winner: it's just a matter of deciding whether to go with the silver or lacquer finish.

Comment

• RickF
                              • Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum. And, welcome back to making beautiful music.

TE is a winner: it's just a matter of deciding whether to go with the silver or lacquer finish.
                              Most folks (at least here in the U.S.) prefer silver finish rather than lacquer in euphoniums -- but of course that's up to you. Silver plate stands up better to wear and tear.
                              Rick Floyd
                              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
                              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
                              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
                              Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

Working...
                              X