Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Sound

1. Euphonium Sound

Hi, I currently just joined the forums and I am loving it!
    There is just so much information and it is a great place to learn.

I have been playing euphonium for about 3 years, but my sound is not exactly
    the euphonium sound that I have heard from recordings. I play on a besson sovreign (not sure what model) and a SM3. What can I do to achieve the beautiful sound that I have been hearing? Any tips or advice is welcome!

2. Euphonium Sound

The short answer: practise daily, use truckloads of air.

Slightly longer answer: practise daily, three to four hours if you can, minimum one to two otherwise. Use truckloads of air, and some sort of breath development device, i.e. one of the Jacobs gadgets, or a breathing tube ( poly conduit type stuff). Using a lot of air may make you temporarily louder, but in the long run will make your sound fuller at all dynamics, and in the short and medium term strengthen your embouchure from the inside out.

N.B. Rehearsals and concerts don't count as practice! They count as face time, but don't necessarily contribute to technical or artistic development!

And bear in mind that all good progress is slow, glacially slow. Watching for your own progress can sometimes feel like watching your hair grow! You won't see the changes on a daily basis, but someone who hasn't seen/heard you for a while will.

If you have a teacher, get them to push you! If you don't have a teacher, get one!

good luck
    Sue

Euphonium Sound

I spent some time on this subject in the Brass Player's Cookbook. There are articles by 56 other authors as well, so I think you might find it a good read:

Brass Players Cookbook
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Euphonium Sound

Thanks for the quick replies! They are all very useful, not long ago did I realize how insufficient my breathing was.
    I am working on it and my sound has increased in volume and tone! I currently have a teacher and his answer to all problems is "more air" It is also a good heads up that the progress won't be instant, I was starting to get worried!

I am also thinking about purchasing that book!

5. Euphonium Sound

Not sure how much this will help but, when you are listening to recordings, try to understand what the difference is between your sound and their sound and then try to sound more like that. I had an instructor's how answers to everything was more ear and better listening.... Hope this helps...

6. Euphonium Sound

Today I played on a friends shilke 51D, and I personally think I sounded better than I did on my SM3
    My tone was more clearer and had more body to it, and I could do more with my vibrato. I also felt I could hit high notes easier
    ( I think it was due to the 51D being a bit smaller )
    Should I go and get this mouthpiece for further testing? Or stick it out with the SM3...

Euphonium Sound

The 51D is a popular mouthpiece, so it may be a fine choice. One thing to be careful of, though, is the size of the room you judge it in. The 51D has a smaller sound than the Wick, but it is consequently more centered with less "fuzz." In a smaller room, the 51D sounds better inherently. But you should test it in a large hall, such as one you might perform in. There the Wick mouthpiece might have a larger, more open and singing tone. But it still depends on your own style of playing and how much air you use. You might prefer the 51D even in the larger setting. Just be sure you have a chance to test it that way.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Euphonium Sound

The 51D is a popular mouthpiece, so it may be a fine choice. One thing to be careful of, though, is the size of the room you judge it in. The 51D has a smaller sound than the Wick, but it is consequently more centered with less "fuzz." In a smaller room, the 51D sounds better inherently. But you should test it in a large hall, such as one you might perform in. There the Wick mouthpiece might have a larger, more open and singing tone. But it still depends on your own style of playing and how much air you use. You might prefer the 51D even in the larger setting. Just be sure you have a chance to test it that way.
    Excellent points! I would like to suggest that you have a friend (or friends) listen to you play on the 2 mpcs in this larger room from some distance from you too and tell you what they hear.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

9. Euphonium Sound

That is a good idea to try Rick! I will give it a go during the next week or so. How would the 51D and the SM3 compare in different band settings? Full band? Ensemble? I won't be able to test this out for a couple of months. (Marching season!)
    Thank you all for your comments and advice, they are all wonderful!

Euphonium Sound

Just a general comment:
    The 51D has a somewhat smaller, more centered sound that the SM3 (or Wick 3 or Wick 4 or SM4). That will make it tend to sound better in a small ensemble. In a large ensemble (i.e. a band) the SM3 may sound better.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast