X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richardrichard9
    • May 2007

Piston to Rotary

I am new to Rotary Valves, and I was wondering, can you use piston valve oil on rotary valves. I Have seen products advertised as plain "Valve Oil" and then I have seen others advertised as "piston oil" or "Light rotary Oil". Which one should I use, and which ones do you prefer?
  • ydave
    • Oct 2007

Piston to Rotary

For trom rotary valves you should definately use rotary valve oil
    so I presume it is the same for basses & euphs with rotarys
    but I have only ever played piston valves & trombones.......

Dave
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Piston to Rotary

I've not used a 'rotary valve' horn before, but I understand that the rotar does not come in contact with the casing. There is a small clearance between valve and casing. Having said that, it's always recommended that some oil be applied to the valve to inhibit corrosion. But you do need to oil the bearing periodically... but with a heavier machine oil.

Here's a helpful link by Osmun.com:

Rotary Valve Maintanence
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• adrtxusa
        • Aug 2007

Piston to Rotary

DONT DO IT, MAJOR NO NO!!

Comment

• bearphonium
          • Jan 2007

Piston to Rotary

I know that I used a rotary oil when I played the French Horn--valve oil would not work right.

Comment

• suetuba
            • May 2006

Piston to Rotary

It depends on which part of the rotary valve you wish to oil. If you wish to oil the actual rotor in its casing, a very light valve oil is fine e.g. Al Cass or the new Denis Wick valve oil. Drop a few drops down the nearest easily accessible slide whilst agitating the spatula to get a good distribution. Sure, if you've removed the rotor, by all means oil it directly, but if you've got as far as dismantling a rotary valve...... good luck to you! If you wish to oil the linkages, or the centre 'pin' of the rotor, then a rotary oil is ok, but can make the linkages feel a little heavy for a few days. ( Not to be done two days before a concerto - I speak from pained experience!).
            I went to rotary valves some years ago, and really like their low maintenance aspect. The occasional feed of oil down the slides and that's it. Just every few years, one needs to get the darn things fully stripped down, serviced and put back together. The latter is the tricky part.
            I oiled down the slides of my F tuba last week with Denis Wick valve oil, and the valves are delightfully smooth now.
            Sue

Comment

Working...
            X