Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCORE!

SCORE!

Tom,

Let us know how this turns out. I've owned a couple of brand new euphoniums over the past 8 years, and all of them eventually had these small micro scratches all over the horn that seemed to increase with age.. I don't know if these came from subtle rubbing against the inside the of the case or not....based on their location, I'm confident in saying that these scratches did not come from some damage while the instrument was outside of its case as I'm very careful with it and would remember if I had an encounter in some of the areas where these scratches appeared. You would never notice it unless you were fairly close, but I assumed that a polish wouldn't help here as that was for tarnish removal.

Anybody else had this problem? I wonder if these hard formed cases are the culprit? Come to think of it, the only horn I've seen that didn't have this problem was with one my section mates who has a fairly new Willson 2900...he got the one with the deluxe case. After about 3 years of use, his finish still looks brand new. Although the case is very nice, it isn't molded like the Yamaha and Besson cases I've used in the past.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

SCORE!

Here is an example of the microscratches I've seen. Granted, you can see these scratches clearly on the bottom bow, but I've seen this on several places of bell flares, in places that I know haven't been hit outside of the case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-642...WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, do you think the hard molded cases could be the culprit? Would application of Haggerty spray polish do the trick?
    - Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

SCORE!

Originally posted by: euphdude

I wonder if these hard formed cases are the culprit?
    I wouldn't think so, at least not for the scratches you often see on the body and bell. Most often the scratches are in a swirl pattern, which is likely to come from some kind of polishing - rubbing the horn with a cloth with or without polish. I have to confess that I have sometimes wiped down the horn with a flannel cloth I carry. It's probably picked up some dust by now (can't remember the last time it was washed), and of course there was probably dust on the horn at the time. Shame on me!

Does that sound like it could be the cause for you?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. SCORE!

Originally posted by: davewerden

[I wouldn't think so, at least not for the scratches you often see on the body and bell. Most often the scratches are in a swirl pattern, which is likely to come from some kind of polishing - rubbing the horn with a cloth with or without polish. I have to confess that I have sometimes wiped down the horn with a flannel cloth I carry. It's probably picked up some dust by now (can't remember the last time it was washed), and of course there was probably dust on the horn at the time. Shame on me!

Does that sound like it could be the cause for you?
    Yep, that's what it looks like.

Maybe some ultra-fine steel wool would take care of it...

Tom

SCORE!

Originally posted by: WyoBadger
    Tom
    Don't do it!

As steel wool is harder than silver plate it will likely mark the finish in some (negative) way. It may be possible to burnish/buff the silver with a rubbing compound since it is malleable. Ask a jeweler or instrument repair person. My dentist once burnished my (gold) wedding ring - using his equipment for preparing gold crowns. The ring looked like new afterward. Of course, gold is even softer than silver.

Personally, I would just let the scratchs be. Silver horns will generally accumulate some scratchs, it's just their nature. They still look great.

- Carroll

Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

SCORE!

Most often the scratches are in a swirl pattern, which is likely to come from some kind of polishing - rubbing the horn with a cloth with or without polish. I have to confess that I have sometimes wiped down the horn with a flannel cloth I carry. It's probably picked up some dust by now (can't remember the last time it was washed), and of course there was probably dust on the horn at the time. Shame on me!
    So are you saying that this could be from dust on the polishing cloth or on the horn that acts as an abrasive?
    - Scott

King Jiggs P-bone

SCORE!

Originally posted by: carbogast
    Don't do it!

As steel wool is harder than silver plate it will likely mark the finish in some (negative) way.
    Sculptors, woodworkers, and painters routinely use superfine steel wool to burnish lacquered objects, so superfine steel wool (0000) should be OK provided you use a VERY light touch.

That being said, I would be inclined to use a buffing wheel or superfine bronze wool instead.

8. SCORE!

Originally posted by: carbogast

Originally posted by: WyoBadger

Tom

Don't do it!

As steel wool is harder than silver plate it will likely mark the finish in some (negative) way. It may be possible to burnish/buff the silver with a rubbing compound since it is malleable. Ask a jeweler or instrument repair person. My dentist once burnished my (gold) wedding ring - using his equipment for preparing gold crowns. The ring looked like new afterward. Of course, gold is even softer than silver.

Personally, I would just let the scratchs be. Silver horns will generally accumulate some scratchs, it's just their nature. They still look great.

- Carroll
    I was kidding. Sorry to alarm you. I think I'll just stick with a good chamois cloth and some silver polish.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12