Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCORE!

1. SCORE!

Just got my YEP 642s. I love it so far. I've been without a horn for about three months (for the first time since junior high school, back before rocks were invented) and I'm looking forward to teaching it to sing. Or letting it teach me. All one.

I haven't gotten busy with a tuner yet, but I can tell you that the first time I picked up this horn, I could cover 4 octaves, sub-pedal F up to 2 f's above the BC staff. This after not playing for about 6 months. I've never been able to hit the high notes like that. Good way to start.

Thanks, everybody, for all the great info on this site. I'll be back.

Tom

2. SCORE!

synthetic rocks were invented in 1978 btw
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

3. SCORE!

Badger, it's been almost a month. You got a report on your Shiny New Euphonium for us, or have you not come up for air yet?

Ally

4. SCORE!

Right, it's about time for an update.

First of all, it is quite heavy. I have always preferred standing up, and it is taking some getting used to. I have heard people cite this as one disadvantage of compensating horns, and it's true. But nothing insurmountable.

It's a very pretty horn--silver ones always are! But it appears that, at some point in this horn's history, someone tried to clean it with some sort of abrasive. So it has little, microscratches all over it which aren't visible from a distance, but do detract from the beauty of the horn close up. Is it possible to polish these away without further damaging the silver plate?

Sound-wise, I'm comparing to a Besson 765, which is what I've played every since I was a good enough player to know the difference. The YEP has a nice, pleasant, round, medium-dark sound. Not quite as rich as the Besson, but a bit bigger. Easier dynamic control, too.

The tuning is excellent. I'd give it an 8 out of ten. No problems, thought he 2nd valve slide did have a tendency to fall out when I blew a high A--someone had greased the thing with valve oil!

The horn is very agile, and extremely fun to play. I'm still getting to know it, but so far, so good!

Tom

5. SCORE!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it has a Stork Custom 5 mouthpiece. Is anyone familiar with thie piece? I've never heard of it. Seems to work just fine!

Tom

6. SCORE!

Tom,

Some data:

1. Stork Custom 5 Mouthpiece - Never heard of it. The YEP-642 is a large shank horn, so you can use any Bass-Trombone shank mouthpiece you'd like. What were you using on your Besson?

2. 2nd Valve slide falling out - This is a common problem. I used to use a rubber band to hold the 2nd valve slide on my old Besson 967 because I was using Vaseline instead of a good slide grease. Use Hetman slide grease. This stuff is VERY sticky! Also, consider having a technician ever so slightly wedge the slide out a bit to give it just a tad more friction.

3. Micro-abrasion on the silver. I had this happen on my Besson 967. The problem was that I used Hagerty's Silversmith's Polish (liquid) instead of the Hagerty's Silversmith's Spray Polish. The thicker liquid polish is much more abrasive than the spray on stuff. Also, Brasso is a big time "no-no" on these horns. To get my horn back in shape, I used Wright's Silver Cream highly diluted and polished very carefully, several times. As long as you don't rub too hard and long in any one place, you should be able to get the horn to look quite a bit nicer. On an on-going basis, I highly recommend Hagerty's SPRAY (not the liquid!)

Doug Ruby
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. SCORE!

Thanks, Doug. I'll see if I can get my hands on some of that Hagerty's spray.

I started another thread about MP's. I've never really messed around with different ones before--always just played the stock mp with whatever horn I was on--but this Stork has me curious.

As for the slide, I just wiped the valve oil off it and it's fine.

Tom

SCORE!

Originally posted by: daruby

The problem was that I used Hagerty's Silversmith's Polish (liquid) instead of the Hagerty's Silversmith's Spray Polish. The thicker liquid polish is much more abrasive than the spray on stuff.
    I think the liquid is thicker, and of course you have to rub it on, which makes it more abrasive. I'm not sure if Hagerty builds in more abrasive or not.

Perhaps part of the issue would be whether you are polishing "clean" silver. Usually when I polish mine I have just bathed the horn, so there is no dust on it. However, if you use a rub-on polish on a dusty horn you would naturally get some micro scratches. (I'm not saying the horn would be dusty enough to "look" dusty, but there is always a little dust in the air.) Also, all brands of polish I see specify a clean, lint-free cloth to apply and to buff.

I'm not speaking from a scientific background. Any other readers know about the actual formula of the liquid? The reason I'm keeping the subject open is that I have seen liquid or paste polishes used in some very "fussy" applications. You would think you would see sprays more often.

That being said, there is absolutely no reason not to use the spray if your horn is not badly tarnished. In that case the spray does a fine job and seems to have the same tarnish preventative in it. And, as I mentioned in another post, the spray will get in between the valves and into other tough-to-reach places. You can still thread a cloth into these places and pull it back and forth to polish off the spray.

Now we could talk about environmental issues, but I think I would prefer to leave that one alone!

Polish and Other Suppllies
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

SCORE!

Originally posted by: WyoBadger

Thanks, Doug. I'll see if I can get my hands on some of that Hagerty's spray.
    Well THAT'S easy enough:

Hagery Spray Polish for Silver
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. SCORE!

Dave,
    There is no tarnish on the horn at all. Just those tiny scratches I'd like to buff out if possible.

I'll remember to give it a good bath before I polish it.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast