Thread: Does Anyone Really Like Multiphonics?

Does Anyone Really Like Multiphonics?

Dave's blog posting of the Steve Mead video demonstrating multiphonics prompts me to ask if anyone really likes the ultimate result of the technique? To me, it usually produces a raspy, forced, nasty sounding chord.

I have always hated the sound, and find it unmusical. Yet it has become an expected part of euphonium technique. For example, major works like the Ellerby 'Euphonium Concerto' and Curnow 'Symphonic Variants' have spots which call for multiphonics, not in service to, or to be faithful to the musical idea, but more like an an idle display of technique. To me, both pieces are strengthened by the performer not using multiphonics.

John

Originally posted by: JTJ

Dave's blog posting of the Steve Mead video demonstrating multiphonics prompts me to ask if anyone really likes the ultimate result of the technique? To me, it usually produces a raspy, forced, nasty sounding chord.

I have always hated the sound, and find it unmusical. Yet it has become an expected part of euphonium technique. For example, major works like the Ellerby 'Euphonium Concerto' and Curnow 'Symphonic Variants' have spots which call for multiphonics, not in service to, or to be faithful to the musical idea, but more like an an idle display of technique. To me, both pieces are strengthened by the performer not using multiphonics.

John
    I agree with you 100% John. It's unique and and a novelty, but to me, not musical at all.

Gee... and I thought it was just me?

I need to add that my opinion of Multiphonics should not reflect on Steve Mead or Oystein Baadsvik musical abilities at all. They are both awesome players! I just decided that when I want to play more than one note at a time I should learn to play bagpipes. Well, that will never happen.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

(The blog post is HERE)

I personally do not care for musical product resulting from multiphonics as currently applied. I have heard (and produced) fairly pleasant-sounding "chords" using a very consonant interval, such as a 10th. But it has to be under-played a bit so the effect is subtle.

There are a few inherent problems. First, the vocal range required may not be comfortable for the instrumentalist. I think that your vocal chord vibrations will interfere with your chops' vibrations if the notes are too close together. And the sound of your voice changing pitch will not match the sound of a horn changing pitch, so if the two lines don't move simultaneously (as in the Curnow), then the effect is NOT like 2 euphoniums.

I'm not sure the problems with multiphonics are any more daunting physically than those of circular breathing during really technical passages (listen to Rafael Mendez double-tonguing his way through Moto Perpetuo while circular breathing), so maybe in a decade or so someone will really have it nailed.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Does Anyone Really Like Multiphonics?

I don't much care for multiphonics with Euphonium. I think the fact that the primary note being played on Euphonium may tend to be too close to the (male) vocal note in the multiphonic chord makes it difficult to get the sound to differentiate itself. A lot of what Steve Mead was doing just sounded like fuzzy notes. He had to sing the happy birthday in a falsetto to get the vocal notes to come out over the Euphonium tones.

Tuba is another story. I have heard some really good multiphonics with Tuba players. Listen to Baadvik Oystein do Blue Fnuug! Could the more open embouchure and lower pitch of the horn be a factor?

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Well I find it interesting as a novelty, but its not exactly harmonious (if thats the correct term) & certainly not balenced to the sound of the main note from the euph.

Perhaps it needs to be understated or limited to more humoures pieces on the whole, I certainly can't take it over seriously.

But I guess we have to be thankful that people are constantly pushing the boundaries of our insturument. Even if some techniques my not be popular with us all. Euphs are used increasingly (or be it slowly) in different gendres of music from pop to classical, but we may not all care for each area. Its just anouther technique take it or leave it.............

Dave
    Current Euphs:
    York Eminence
    Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp/ Globe)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial
    Plus an attic of old classics in various states of repair!
    Previous Euphs:

Besson Prestige (German)
    Geneva Symphony
    Wilson 2900 with Eminence leadpipe
    Sterling Virtuoso (300 mm heavy red brass bell)
    Cortios 167 II
    'Gob Iron': Doug Elliott Euph 104 I 9s (plus a few others!)

Every rule has its exception. Here's a swinging, fun use of multiphonics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7mZRygBrYc

7. Does Anyone Really Like Multiphonics?

I have always thought of multiphonics as useful for elementary school performances, and for opening up small highschool groups as a stress reliever.

I do believe it strengthens something by learning to vocalize - ?
    Just like I believe you should be able to play low Eb open (imaginary notes). These just should not have a place in normal solos.

8. Does Anyone Really Like Multiphonics?

I'm working on a solo now whih requires limited use of multiphonics (Concert Variations by Jan Bach) and I've found them to be a great tone builder more than anything. Singing while playing encourages an open throat and proper air flow if done correctly, at least for me.

9. Just Hijacking an old multiphonics post, I have also heard that practicing multiphonics is an aid to developing an open throat.