Thread: Are Perantucci and Sterling Related?

1. Are Perantucci and Sterling Related?

Hi, Again!

I've had my eye on a Perantucci PT35 on ebay. In my shopping and research, I've gotten the idea that the Perantucci and Sterling are more-or-less different names for the same thing, or at least closely associated, i.e. Boosey and Besson.

Now most people can't say enough good about Sterling horns, so I'm wondering if this equates to the same thing.

I live a LONG way from any shops that stock pro euphs, so I'm going to have to buy sight-unseen, which is always scary. So how does this horn stack up?

Thanks for helping out a player from the backwoods!

Tom

Are Perantucci and Sterling Related?

Not in this direction. Perantucci is a name used by Custom Music to indicate some "ownership" of the design on their part. The PT35 is a German instrument. The Sterling euphonium is a British instrument.

Custom helped fund the development of the Sterling euphonium and wanted to cross-brand it, so they called it the Sterling-Perantucci in the early days. I don't think they are doing that now, just leaving the name as the Sterling Virtuoso.

I have played the PT35 briefly and liked it, but I really didn't have time to do a thorough test of intonation and other things. The sound is good but not as "British" as the Sterling. That is no surprise, since it's not made in England. Overall build quality seemed very good. Valves and slides on the one I tried were excellent.

That's about as far as I can comment with confidence. Maybe other readers have had more time on that horn.

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Are Perantucci and Sterling Related?

Thanks!

Does anybody know how the intonation is on the PT 35?

Tom