Thread: Miraphone 1258a?

1. Miraphone 1258a?

Howdy.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while--thanks for all the great info.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Miraphone 1258a?

I recently sold my BE765--couldn't deal with some of the tuning issues. Living in the middle of nowhere, I'm going to have to buy site-unseen, and money is an issue so I can't just shell out 6 grand for a Sterling (maybe after one of my CD's goes multiplatinum...)

I use the horn for recording ensemble stuff, some band play, occasional soloing. So tuning/intonation is first priority; big, dark sound second (I LOVED that about my old besson); durability and looks tie for third.

Found a Miraphone 1258 for sale. Opinions?

Thanks!

T

Miraphone 1258a?

Hello,

I am a new member of the forum, but have visited a number of times prior to joining.

WyoBadger - In answer to your question, I have a Miraphone 1258A in lacquer. The horn was bought from WWBW about a year ago, before the dollar tanked vs the euro.

I use the Miraphone for New Orleans jazz funerals and second-lines plus some solo jazz noodling. My viewpoint is definitely from an amateur's perspective. I was playing an old Conn 24-I four-valve, but I was not satisfied with tuning or intonation. My instructor suggested the Miraphone because of their reputation for quality tubas.

I like the dark sound compared to other compensating euphs I have heard (but not played). During second-lines I usually march next to a fat Conn 20-I sousaphone. The sousa players really like the "tenor tuba" sound of the Miraphone. One pundit called it "an F-tuba in disguise".

Check David Werden's tuning comparison page at http://dwerden.com/intonation

I was concerned about the F3 and F#3. The tuning chart is quite accurate for open F3, which really did come in about 15-17 cents sharp! However, this can be easily solved by using the fourth valve for F3. I tune the fourth valve to cover F2, C3, and F3. Third valve is adjusted to handle the 2-3 combinations, and I almost never use the 1-3 combination. Actually the 1-3 combination is fine in most cases, fourth valve is just easier for me.

Check the "How To Tune" post in the tuba-euphonium blog:
    http://www.dwerden.com/blog3/m..._blogs.cfm?m=6&y=2005
    This tuning sequence works quite well for me.

The fourth valve is a bit of a reach, and I do get a bit of tennis elbow, alleviated by ice packs. I am a six-footer, so this may be a concern for shorter folks. That's one reason why Miraphone came out with the M5000, which is supposed to have a more ergonomic fourth valve configuration.

My lacquer 1258A has a number of scratches and minor dings after a year of use. Not to mention getting knocked off a piano bench and suffering a three-inch crease in the bell! My repairman rolled out the crease and it didn't seem to affect the intonation.

If I were buying today, I would get the Miraphone M5000-UK in silver.

If you can get a used 1258 in good condition for less than $2K, go for it.

Good luck,

Bruce
    Bruce H Ward
    Houston TX

Besson BE2056-2 4-Valve Compensating Baritone
    1946 Conn 30-I Wonderphone 5-Valve Double-bell

3. Miraphone 1258a?

Thanks, Bruce. That's mighty helpful. I'm a six footer as well, so the 4th hopefully wouldn't be a problem. The tuning post will definitely come in handy--thanks for pointing me to that. Amazing that I took the better part of a decade of private lessons in college and no one ever taught me that!

Tom

4. Miraphone 1258a?

Tom,
    Did you eventually buy the 1258A?
    I just bought one from WW&BW, a "New B Stock" horn at a great sale price. I'm curious to know what you think of it as I haven't found any reviews of it online. I've always heard good things about Miraphone, so I hope this will work out well for me.

Thanks,
    Patrick McNeal