Thread: Conn 19I bore diameter: .580 or .571?

Conn 19I bore diameter: .580 or .571?

Ok, long shot here: does anyone know the bore diameter of the Conn 19I?

I've found a used Conn Loyalist 19I w/satin silver finish for sale that I'm interested in buying. It's supposed to be the same horn as the King 2280 minus the third valve slide trigger. It is apparently no longer in production since it's no longer listed on the Conn-Selmer website, and a Google search didn't turn up anything.

I got to wondering about the bore size of the 19I because according to the specs for the 2280 on the Conn-Selmer website, the 2280 has a .580 bore, but the the bore of the Bach Stradavarius 1110, which is also supposed to be identical to the 2280, is .571.

I've played two King 2280s and really like the tone and how open and free-blowing they were compared to my King 2268 (.560 bore), so I'm wondering whether the Conn 19I's bore is .580 or .571, and if it's .571, how much of a difference that will make in terms of tone and playability? I'm guessiing the smaller bore will make it slightly brighter and less free-blowing?

[Edit: moved comments on the King 2280 currently listed on ebay to misc ebay thread]

2. Conn 19I bore diameter: .580 or .571?

While I have read that Bach is now selling a clone of the King 2280, the horns that I have seen pictured in their advertisements with .571 bore are NOT based on the King. They are more like Yamaha clones. The wrap of the King's tubing and the routing of the 4th valve tubing are different from the Yamaha clones. If Bach really is selling a clone of the King, then they have not updated their advertising material to reflect this change.

I have seen a Conn 19I before, and it IS essentially identical to the King 2280. However, if the horn lacks the 3rd valve trigger, then you lose one of the major advantages that the King 2280 has over all other horns in its price range. You really need that trigger to compensate (along with the having the 4th slide pulled out) for the intonation between low E and the pedal B-flat. Most other 4 valve non-compensating horns will not play a B natural above the pedal. A King 2280 can do that.

Conn 19I bore diameter: .580 or .571?

Thanks, dkstone.

I guess I'll contact Conn-Selmer to verify the bore of the Conn 19I.

The Conn 19I I'm considering is attractive because it's in immaculate condition, it's satin silver with polished silver slides and fittings, and the asking price is less than half the cost of a new lacquer 2280.

The slide trigger is a nice feature, but realistically, given the ensembles I'll be playing in and the music we'll be playing, I doubt that I'll be playing anything below low Eb very frequently, if at all. If I do decide I want a slide trigger, though, Tuba Exchange says they can get one from King and install it for less than $100.